Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mid-2015 Macbook Pro Retina is not charging when in use

Hi everybody!

I've got a mid-2015 15" Macbook Pro Retina, bought in 2015. Never had any problem with it.

Yesterday I started playing Civilization VI: the performances are pretty good, actually. It's a turn based game, so I am willing to turn a blind eye on frames per second (around 20).

But I noticed that the light on the Magsafe turned orange, and the battery discharged a little during the game. Not THAT much, but in an hour it goes down about 10% (way less than if I were to play without the power adapter).

As soon as I close Civilization, the battery starts charging again and the Magsafe turns green.

I never noticed this behaviour with any other app/game (I played Cities: Skylines, Civilization V with almost all settings on High, XCom...).

What could it be?

It looks like the Macbook can't keep up with the power needed to both charge the battery and use CPU/GPU and everything else...

But most important: could it be dangerous for my laptop?

Thanlk

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 2:38 PM

Resetting the SMC is used to get rid of preconceived notions, and make certain all hardware is correctly recognized for what it is right now, including the battery. It is perfectly appropriate to do any time you even think you might have a problem, whether you actually do or not. It does no harm.

3 replies

mid-2015 Macbook Pro Retina is not charging when in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.