Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I slow down Screen Saver shuffle/random picture?

My Screen Saver prefs are set to display images from a personal folder in "shuffle slide order" mode Ken Burns effect. The images look good on a large plasma display, but change too rapidly for comfort, around 5 secs each.

How do I get it to slow down? Say 30 or 45 secs, before changing?

High Sierra, Mac Mini 2014 vintage, i7 16GB

Thanks

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:44 PM

Thank you. It's helpful to know that I'm not alone, even more so that people were genuinely trying to help.

I managed a workaround without editing system files using iPhoto as follows:

1. In iPhoto prefs, uncheck box marked "Copy items to the Photos library". This avoids overburdening your system HD, and as with iTunes, loads pointers rather than copying files.
  2. Import "items" i.e. pointers from your carefully curated lifetime collection of images. In my case, this amounted to ~20k images, meaning you'll never get bored. This took approximately half-an-hour on a Mac Mini 2014 vintage i7 16GB.
  3. Select all the above "photos" and add them to a new project in iPhoto.
  4. The new project is now a "slideshow" with parameter settings for "Duration" available at the RHS. I found the best settings were: Classic theme, slowest possible Dissolve Transition setting, and longest possible Duration for the entire collection. This resulted (for me) in a tolerable duration of ~1 minute for each image. If I chose a "Ken Burns" effect theme, all of these settings were overwritten with the already familiar ~3 secs.
  5. One advantage of this way of doing things is that it disables Screensaver while it's running, so that your art images display tastefully while you have dinner or just contemplate.

Thank you dialabrain.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 11:44 PM in response to dialabrain

Thank you. It's helpful to know that I'm not alone, even more so that people were genuinely trying to help.

I managed a workaround without editing system files using iPhoto as follows:

1. In iPhoto prefs, uncheck box marked "Copy items to the Photos library". This avoids overburdening your system HD, and as with iTunes, loads pointers rather than copying files.
  2. Import "items" i.e. pointers from your carefully curated lifetime collection of images. In my case, this amounted to ~20k images, meaning you'll never get bored. This took approximately half-an-hour on a Mac Mini 2014 vintage i7 16GB.
  3. Select all the above "photos" and add them to a new project in iPhoto.
  4. The new project is now a "slideshow" with parameter settings for "Duration" available at the RHS. I found the best settings were: Classic theme, slowest possible Dissolve Transition setting, and longest possible Duration for the entire collection. This resulted (for me) in a tolerable duration of ~1 minute for each image. If I chose a "Ken Burns" effect theme, all of these settings were overwritten with the already familiar ~3 secs.
  5. One advantage of this way of doing things is that it disables Screensaver while it's running, so that your art images display tastefully while you have dinner or just contemplate.

Thank you dialabrain.

How do I slow down Screen Saver shuffle/random picture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.