Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to allow my Airport backup through time machine to include my attached G Drive Mobile when backups are run. Shows the drive in history but can not click it open

Trying to allow my Airport backup through time machine to include my attached G Drive Mobile when backups are run. Shows the drive in history but can not click it open. Am using MacBook Pro from 2012 and have most current High Sierra 10.13.1.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 6:41 AM

I assume that you are backing up to a Time Capsule, correct?

Disconnect the G Drive from your Mac to simulate a situation where the drive has failed, and you need to get at the data on the drive on your Time Machine Backup.

Open Time Machine on your Mac and give it a few minutes to fully load

Using the timeline on the right of Time Machine window, go back a few days in the past to select a date

Look on the left side of the Finder window in Time Machine for a heading called Devices

Click on the name of your Mac computer under the Devices heading

The window to the right should display two folders, each representing a hard drive that has been backed up

The backups of your Mac are in a folder called Data.....(unless you have changed the name of the drive on the Time Capsule)

The other folder should display the name of the G Drive

Right-Click on the G Drive and a drop down menu will appear

Click Restore To to select a destination where the entire backup of the G Drive will go

If you don't want to restore the entire G Drive, open up the drive in Time Machine and navigate to find the file or folders that you need

Then, click to select and highlight the folder(s) and then Right-Click to display the Restore To option

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 6:41 AM in response to Ringo13

I assume that you are backing up to a Time Capsule, correct?

Disconnect the G Drive from your Mac to simulate a situation where the drive has failed, and you need to get at the data on the drive on your Time Machine Backup.

Open Time Machine on your Mac and give it a few minutes to fully load

Using the timeline on the right of Time Machine window, go back a few days in the past to select a date

Look on the left side of the Finder window in Time Machine for a heading called Devices

Click on the name of your Mac computer under the Devices heading

The window to the right should display two folders, each representing a hard drive that has been backed up

The backups of your Mac are in a folder called Data.....(unless you have changed the name of the drive on the Time Capsule)

The other folder should display the name of the G Drive

Right-Click on the G Drive and a drop down menu will appear

Click Restore To to select a destination where the entire backup of the G Drive will go

If you don't want to restore the entire G Drive, open up the drive in Time Machine and navigate to find the file or folders that you need

Then, click to select and highlight the folder(s) and then Right-Click to display the Restore To option

Dec 10, 2017 7:04 AM in response to Ringo13

You don't mention whether you have already checked to make sure that the steps below have been performed, but if they have not, they will need to be done before Time Machine will be able to back up the G Drive

1) The G Drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to allow Time Machine to back up the data on the Mac.

2) The G Drive will by default be excluded from Time Machine backups, so you must remove it from the list of Excluded items in Time Machine Preferences / Options before the drive will be backed up.

Dec 12, 2017 5:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob, my drive is formatted correctly as you suggested. I have now been able to have some of my backups include the G Drive connected via USB. When I go back to one of those back ups in the Airport Time Machine the only way I can see the files from that backup (drive shows bold type in Finder) is when my G Drive is actually/currently plugged into the USB. I would have thought the backup would be there even if I lost my G Drive but apparently I can not see the G Drive files unless it is plugged in. Does that take sense?

Apologies this is so prolonged.

Trying to allow my Airport backup through time machine to include my attached G Drive Mobile when backups are run. Shows the drive in history but can not click it open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.