Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sidebar mac finder ext hd

After refreshing High Sierra 10.13.2 my Mac Book Pro don't show me any external hard disk (inc. time machine) in the Finder's sidebar. No way to add any of the hard disks to the side bar menu...
When I finaly disconect the ext hd, I get the messages that it was not correct, not to eject it. But if I can not see it, how to eject it?

Could somebody help me pls???

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), MacBook Pro from 2010

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 9:21 AM

Cmd-shift-C (Go > Computer) will show all mounted volumes.

You can reset the Sidebar Finder Preferences to show all external drives. If the checkbox has a dash ( - ) in it, then some drives have been removed from the sidebar. Click the checkbox to make it a check mark and all mounted volumes should then show in the sidebar.

The Sidebar, like the Dock, is not the "source" information. Both are places to put frequently used items. I have removed many of my external drives from Sidebar, including the Time Machine disk as I will never use it myself.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 9:21 AM in response to szoa

Cmd-shift-C (Go > Computer) will show all mounted volumes.

You can reset the Sidebar Finder Preferences to show all external drives. If the checkbox has a dash ( - ) in it, then some drives have been removed from the sidebar. Click the checkbox to make it a check mark and all mounted volumes should then show in the sidebar.

The Sidebar, like the Dock, is not the "source" information. Both are places to put frequently used items. I have removed many of my external drives from Sidebar, including the Time Machine disk as I will never use it myself.

sidebar mac finder ext hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.