Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wind Tunnel noise-Mac Pro Mid 2010

I have a Mac Pro Mid 2010-3.33GHZ 6 Core with 24 GB RAM. I started having issues with this Mac Pro about 4 months ago, where the "Wind Tunnel" Fans come on. The only way to shut them down is to re-start or put the system to sleep. I've run the hardware diagnostics, came up empty. Brought into a local Mac Repair shop, they ended up running the same test as me and came up with nothing. I then purchased TechTool Pro, and added a new SSD startup disk, because the old one was full, and updated to High Sierra.

I'm still having the Wind Tunnel Noise, I'll often come home from work and the machine is making the noise, sounds like a blow dryer, it's incredibly loud.

It will often go on when I'm doing editing work in Adobe Lightroom.

I'm including a screenshot of Activitiy Monitor while this is happening, this was the state it was in when I came woke up this morning and it was making the noise. I put the system to sleep and now it's fine. If anyone can help that would be great. Back when I purchased this computer, it was close to $4500 and it's still does everything I need, I really don't want to upgrade.

User uploaded file

So if anyone can help I'd be really grateful. Thanks

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:06 AM

It may be full of dust and hair. Have you ever cleaned it out?

It sounds like something is overheating, and until you narrow down possible causes, it does not make sense to let it run when you are not there. Shut it down when it’s not in use.

5 replies

Wind Tunnel noise-Mac Pro Mid 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.