Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Houston, we have a problem with Safari

Safari is a little slow loading web pages. Well what happened was, I downloaded the new FireFox Browser and it is super fast. This only made Safari 10.13.1 High Sierra look even slower at loading the web pages. Now my system is hard wired. Fine tuned the DNS server, I have a brand new 2017 3.5GHz, Core i5 with 24 GB DDR memory, and 150 MBs on the download internet service. Houston we have a problem. After playing around with the new FireFox browser I am now finding Safari unusable. I'm a diehard Apple guy but the difference is not even close. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 10:33 AM in response to mylesvk

Are you running any anti-virus software? Any third-party utilities that promise to clean, tune, and/or optimize a Mac? An online banking security program called either "Rapport" or "Trusteer EndPoint Protection?" They really mess with Safari performance.

My newest Mac is an entry-level 2012 MBP that is a lot less capable than yours and it is quite fast with Safiar 11.0.1 under High Sierra. I run no third-party apps like those I listed. I also have the new FireFox and really don't see a difference compared to Safari 11.

Eric's links are a great place to start.

Dec 10, 2017 5:32 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allan, no I'm not running anything extra. No, never had any anti-virus software, and never had any third party utilities. Ya know I could be just nuts, I am sure a lot of people would be very happy with the speed that Safari renders web pages on my iMac. I knew that web pages had a slight hesitation before they loaded and opened. It was when I tried the new Fire Fox that the difference really became noticeable. With Fire Fox web pages load and change instantaneously.

Dec 11, 2017 7:40 AM in response to mylesvk

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

If that doesn't work, try running this program in your normal user account , then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Houston, we have a problem with Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.