Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Import Photos from iPhone X to Photos

I am running iOS 11.2 on my iPhone X and mac OS High Sierra Version 10.13.2 on my MacBook.

When I plug in my iPhone to my laptop the photos app doesn't seem to recognize the photos on my phone or that there are even photos on my phone. When I select "Import" I get an error code along the lines of "Some items cannot be added to your Photo library because they may be an unrecognizable file format or the file may not contain valid data."

Another error that occurs is "File Name: IMG_2330.PNG" & "Reason: Source Went Away / This operation couldn't be completed."

I have space on my Mac for these photos. I have repaired my Photos library. I've restarted both my iPhone and Mac. I've also tried General > Camera > Formats > Most Compatible. Nothing has worked. I do not know what to do to fix this.

Any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 7:17 AM

7 replies

Dec 10, 2017 7:39 AM in response to SGMoran

Are you using iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone? The iOS 11 upgrade may have enabled it automatically. Check the Settings > Your user Name > iCloud > Photos. Is iCloud Photo Library enabled? Then the originals for your photos may not be stored your iPhone but only in iCloud and you cannot import them using a USB connection.

Which MacBook model are you using? Not all Mac Models are supporting all variants of HEVC videos well, even on High Sierra.

To convert the new media formats when importing by USB, see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

Go to Settings > Photos. In the "Transfer to Mac or PC" section, disable "Keep Originals"

Dec 10, 2017 8:03 AM in response to SGMoran

SGMoran wrote:

iCloud Photo Library is not enabled. I've actually never had it enabled. I am using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013). I tried the "Keep Originals" thing and nothing. Photos still cannot recognize any of the photos or videos on my iPhone X.

Thank you for your help though.

This is confusing - if iCloud Photo Library is not enabled as you say then there is not option to keep originals or optimized photos - that option is only available when ICPL is enabled

What are your iCloud settings on your IOS device and on your Mac?

LN

Dec 10, 2017 8:22 AM in response to SGMoran

Then I went to Settings > Photos > and selected "Keep Originals." I like to transfer my photos from my iPhone to my Mac through USB. I also do not have Photos linked to iCloud on my Mac.

This option needs to be turned off, not enabled: Settings > Photos > and selected "Keep Origin ls."

You have to allow the iPhone to convert the HEIF images and HEVC videos to JPEG and H.264..

Actually, a Mac on High Sierra should be able to see at least the HEIF images, if not all HEVC videos.

Is your Photos Library stored on a compatible drive? Are you keeping the library on your system drive or on an external drive?

Cannot Import Photos from iPhone X to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.