Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have to restart time capsule regularly

I have a 2TB Time Capsule (ME177LL/A) running version 7.7.8. Every other day or so I have to restart it. My portable devices say WiFi Networks available, but will never connect to it. Once it's done restarting all my portable devices immediately connect. This behavior has only recently begun. Anyone else experiencing something similar and/or have a recommendation?

Thank you.

Time Capsule ver 7.7.8

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 7:47 AM

3 replies

Dec 10, 2017 9:07 AM in response to JCsCowboy

To start, if you Time Capsule is less than a year old, I suggest that you have Apple replace it. If you bought it with another qualifying Apple product you can have up to three years to do so.

If replacing it is not an option, then there are a few things you can try:

• If you have any attached USB devices, hard drives, USB hubs or printers to the TC, temporarily remove them. Then use your TC for a few days or until it "fails" again. I have found attaching a bus-powered USB drive to cause this symptom.
  • Perform a "factory default" reset on the TC. Note: This will NOT affect any data stored on its internal drive. Then reconfigure it for you networking requirements.

If your TC continues to "drop off" regularly, then it may be failing or defective.

Dec 10, 2017 12:11 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you, Tesserax. My unit is no longer under warranty as it was purchased January 2015. I don't have any USB drives attached, and have tried the factory default reset. I did however find an article https://www.appleworld.today/blog/2015/12/18/how-changing-one-setting-on-an-appl e-airport-extreme-fixed-all-of-my-networ… where this person had a similar issue and recommended turning of IPv6 Connection Sharing in the Airport Utility. I have done that and will wait a day or so to see if the problem recurs. I also have another machine running the Apple WiFi Analyzer and is monitoring. I hope the disabling of IPv6 fixed it, but, if not, maybe the monitor will provide some useful information.

Dec 11, 2017 9:12 AM in response to JCsCowboy

Unless your ISP is providing you with IPv6 service AND you need it, I would suggest that you change the Configure IPv6 option to: Link-local only

This would allow for IPv6 traffic on your local network, but would effectively block any IPv6 traffic going through the base station to/from the Internet. Note: The AirPort Utility uses IPv6 when it communicates with the base stations.

Have to restart time capsule regularly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.