Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

booting from an external hard drive

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to High Sierra, but now Logic 9 does not work. (Duh! I should have checked!) Now I need to downgrade to an older MacOS to access my Logic 9 content, not all of which is compatible with Logic X. So I have downloaded El Capitan and installed it on an external USB drive. I can boot from that, but then I do not see my internal data on the MacBook--only the new identity on the external drive. How do I boot from the external drive but still see all my internal data?

Macbook 2.6Ghz 15" Retina late 2013 1Tb SSD--Seagate 4Tb External USB drive

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 8:58 AM

Locate the files on the internal drive and move them to the corresponding location on the external drive; for items in your home folder’s library, open the home folder, choose Go to Folder from the Finder’s Go menu, and provide Library as the path.

(155734)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 8:58 AM in response to tdolby

Locate the files on the internal drive and move them to the corresponding location on the external drive; for items in your home folder’s library, open the home folder, choose Go to Folder from the Finder’s Go menu, and provide Library as the path.

(155734)

Dec 10, 2017 9:03 AM in response to Niel

Sadly this would prove too complicated, as the Logic 9 files require multiple 3rd party plugins, along with all their settings and preferences—it would be near impossible to recreate the complete heirarchy.

How about if I make a Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backup, wipe the internal, do a clean install of El Capitan, and restore my data from the backup?

booting from an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.