Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook does not start after grey ‘loading bar’ has fully loaded

Dear community,

I have a problem with booting my MacBook Pro (2012, 13”, macOS 10.13.1), since it doesn’t load my desktop. After having entered the password, the grey bar fully loads, but it won’t take me to my desktop and documents. Hopefully someone has an idea how to fix this. Thank you!

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 10:03 AM

6 replies

Dec 10, 2017 10:45 AM in response to Maurits27

See if you can boot into Safe Mode. This will take longer than a normal startup. If you can then open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder. Select Macintosh HD (it may appear ghosted but you still can select it) then click on the Mount button in the toolbar. If that works you should see your drive's icon on the Desktop. Quit Disk Utility and restart the computer. This, too, will be slower than normal.

Dec 10, 2017 10:19 AM in response to Maurits27

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up if that is possible.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

MacBook does not start after grey ‘loading bar’ has fully loaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.