Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios and Photos sync issue

I'm running iOS 11.2 and every time I try to sync my photos with Photos 2.0 on my Mac, Photos shows 2 old photos as "new" and tries to import them. These are not on my iPhone. I've tried to rebuild the Photos library 3 or 4 times and also done a hard reset on the phone, added and removed pictures from the phone to trick Photos into rejigging its index or whatever, but the 2 old photos keep showing up. If I choose Import All, Photos tries to re-import them, even though they are not on my iphone anymore - and hence stalls Mac OS from shutting down etc.

How may I resolve this?

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:57 AM

I've run into similar issues before. I feel that there is a problem in how Apple names its media - they are not necessarily using unique identifiers to refer to media files, at least maybe not programmatically. As a result, if you have an image, say IMG_1234 which your iPhone took and you have an IMG_1234 that another iPhone took and you AirDropped this second image to your first device, somehow when you try to sync your first device using Photos, there will be a naming conflict. At least that is what I think because of what worked for me.

I resolved it as such: I fired up Image Capture on my Mac, locatd the images that were seemingly the offenders and deleted them by right clicking. Obviously, Image Capture will also let you save this image to where ever you want (which you may want to do if you don't have a copy already - you can even rename it and import it back into Photos!). After this purge, fire up Photos with your original iPhone connected and you won't see the duplicates!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 11:57 AM in response to belcantoCali

I've run into similar issues before. I feel that there is a problem in how Apple names its media - they are not necessarily using unique identifiers to refer to media files, at least maybe not programmatically. As a result, if you have an image, say IMG_1234 which your iPhone took and you have an IMG_1234 that another iPhone took and you AirDropped this second image to your first device, somehow when you try to sync your first device using Photos, there will be a naming conflict. At least that is what I think because of what worked for me.

I resolved it as such: I fired up Image Capture on my Mac, locatd the images that were seemingly the offenders and deleted them by right clicking. Obviously, Image Capture will also let you save this image to where ever you want (which you may want to do if you don't have a copy already - you can even rename it and import it back into Photos!). After this purge, fire up Photos with your original iPhone connected and you won't see the duplicates!

ios and Photos sync issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.