Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White screen at the end of booting - even from USB boot or internet recovery

2011 MacBook pro late edition formerly rinning 10.12.2 I am getting a white screen at the end of the booting process. I log in (encrypted drive) and see the apple plus boot to the end and then a white screen. I can not boot into recovery mode or internet recovery mode (same problem - boot starts and goes through the entire boot but goes into a white screen at the end). I created a bootable USB drive and that does the same thing (it does work on my other Macs). It does boot into single user mode, and fsck -fy does not detect a hard drive problem. Hardware testing on boot does not detect a hardware problem. (I am running it again).

Despite the negative hardware test I'm going to guess its a memory issue. Just prior to going down the entire system slowed drastically and started doing disk swaps for anything that required memory.

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:04 AM

5 replies

Dec 10, 2017 1:06 PM in response to wwalshiii

It does boot into single user mode, and fsck -fy does not detect a hard drive problem. Hardware testing on boot does not detect a hardware problem. (I am running it again).

I guess the problem up to reading this would be a graphic chip. Booting into safe mode runs a set of minimal graphics drivers and doesn't use the graphics chip.

I developed a process of running safe mode drivers in regular boot. Let me know if you want to try & I'll see if I can fish the post out. It was for 10.4.

Despite the negative hardware test I'm going to guess its a memory issue. Just prior to going down the entire system slowed drastically and started doing disk swaps for anything that required memory.

could point to a memory problem I agree or could be an errant process chowing up memory.

Do you have your data backed up?

Could buy an external drive.

R

Dec 10, 2017 5:03 PM in response to rccharles

I did try safe mode first; it hung up in the same way all the other boot attempts failed.

The drive appears to be fine per fsck, an external boot via USB also failed in the same way, so it does not appear to be software driven or a hard drive problem.

I have my data backed up but can't restore as I can not use any of the various ways there are to get an installer to run.

White screen at the end of booting - even from USB boot or internet recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.