Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Public wi fi : am I in danger ?

Hi my name is xavier

I have a mac book pro from 2017/touch bar and no anti virus on it.

So right now I'm on vacation in Japan and last night I decide to use a free wi fi point from a random Lawson (a mini market/convinience store). Of course it's not a secured wi fi but because I only needed it to use google map and find a restaurant I was heading to, I tried to connect myself to this free wi fi. Safari said It's not a secured wi fi but I forced it to connect to the free spot and by doing so It (safari/the computer) asked me to confirm my decision by entering my digital print. I did it and I was connect to the free wi fi.

At most I stayed connect 2 minutes maximum to this spot. I only used it to quicly search the location of my restaurant on google map. Then right away after I had my information, I just closed my computer and head straight to the restaurant. I used Safari where none of my social media password/credit card information is on, I exclusively use google chrome for that. So because I don't have any anti virus, do you think something could have been stolen from me ? I don't know much about computer science, so even doe I only stayed connected a very short amount of time, I'm worried. I will check my bank account during this week to see i something suspicious is going on. But I don't have any sign of intrusion or weird behavior from my computer.

Anyway thank you for your help,

Cheers,

Xavier

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 11:42 AM

I really don't know. Probably not. But keep an eye on things for a few days just to be sure you don't notice anything odd happening with your security. On your home network be sure you have enabled WPA2 on your router and use a strong password to access your network.

12 replies

Dec 10, 2017 11:21 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan,

Firewalls cannot protect a computer from unsecured Wi-Fis. What is needed is a VPN. This is not to say it isn't good to have a firewall but that the type of protection most often needed on unsecured Wi-Fi connections is a VPN. VPNs anonymize your computer making it impossible for hackers to gain access via IP connections.

Dec 10, 2017 11:57 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Please feel free to continue. You may recommend a different VPN. There are so many that I only bother with one that is easy to use. I use TorGuard but it isn't exactly the easiest to set up. I don't bother with the firewall, personally. I figure if you can't find out what my IP is, then you aren't likely going to get into my computer even without a firewall.

Mostly, I use a VPN on my iPhone even though I have one installed on my laptop. I only use the laptop when traveling. The iPhone I take everywhere around town.

After all, Allan, you know how much secret information I have from all my CIA buddies. 😁😝

Dec 10, 2017 12:17 PM in response to Kappy

In actual fact, I am still in the research mode when it comes to a VPN. Until recently I did so little work where I needed one that I have not decided on one yet.

Plus prior to my retirement, I had access to a VPN provided by my employer. So that one covered my needs. Now that I retired and starting to travel more, I am interested in finding a replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion on TorGuard. I will add that to me list.

Dec 10, 2017 12:22 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I hope you are enjoying your retirement, Allan, and that you have continued good health to get the most out of it. 2018 will be my 18th year of retirement. We don't do much travel anymore. We spend five months a year in Vancouver and seven months here in Florida. We do visit Chicago from time to time because that is where our daughter, her husband, and granddaughter reside. That's enough travel for me. But then I'm probably a bit older than you, so my condition is not that great.

I find retirement has been great. I hope you will, too. Afterall you wait long enough for it to come along. 😀

Dec 10, 2017 12:29 PM in response to Kappy

It has been 10 years since I retired. After my retirement I joined a voluntary group with the Catholic Church Called Serra International. I recently was voted a member of the board for the US which is where most of my traveling is with.

I learned a long time ago that I must stay busy. I managed to work continuously from 1958 until 2007. So I figure wh

Dec 10, 2017 12:52 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I won't hold that against you, Allan. 😁😁😁

I turned 16 in 1958 but had been working since I was 10 (delivering a paper route.) I've always hated work so I retired as soon as I could afford it when I was 58. When I turned 15 I worked full-time in summers for minimum wage. I was a trades worker - painting, plumbing, carpentry, and electrician. After college and a stint in the Army during Viet Nam, I became a real estate broker selling and leasing commercial property. Later a Ph.D. in finance and real estate. Then a career of almost 30 years as a college professor.

Today my only volunteer work is here on the Apple forums where I have been the past 18 years except for my 4-month departure because of LD.

Public wi fi : am I in danger ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.