Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto-correct changes things I already manually corrected

I am venting at Apple about how badly auto-correct now works with Siri on iPhone.

When I dictate an iMessage or SMS message with Siri, it often gets the names wrong (there are many ways to spell some names, but only the right one will do) or the grammar wrong (not putting "ed" on a verb's past tense). I then go in and manually correct the errors before sending. To my great annoyance and chagrin, autocorrect often corrects my corrections to the wrong thing -- if I corrected things, there was something wrong - it shouldn't second guess my corrections.

Today's egregious example:

Text as Siri had it: Taking Cor and Charley for a walk now, glad to hear that Lee is still in the running

Text as I corrected it by manually typing in the correct spellings: (visually verified to be there and correct, after I entered it): Taking Cora and Charlie for a walk now, glad to hear that Leigh is still in the running

As Autocorrect "fixed it" to the wrong spellings on send (after I pressed the send button):

Taking Kara and Charley for a walk now, glad to hear that Leugh is still in the running

Suffice it to say, getting names wrong like this really poor - I'm totally fed up with autocorrect. I had all three names right: Cora, Charlie and Leigh. What got sent was Kara, Charley and Leugh, all completely wrong. That's really bad (it offends people when you get their names wrong or their kids names wrong).

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2, null

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:30 AM

There are no replies.

Auto-correct changes things I already manually corrected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.