Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages App on Macbook Pro is unresponsive

I can open the app but when I click anywhere on the window, the appearance remains unchanged. It is seemingly unresponsive. However, I can still technically send messages. If I type something and press enter, the message is sent and shows up in my iPhone messages app but not on my Macbook.

When I put it into full-screen mode it gets really funky and/or just turns black.

I have shut down and restarted my computer and the app with no luck.

I did update to the new OS system a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't had any problems until now.

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.1.1, v 10.13.3

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 12:01 PM

4 replies

Dec 11, 2017 1:38 PM in response to Estelle_Etienne

Hey Estelle_Etienne,

If I understand correctly, you are able to send messages from your iPhone but on the MacBook Pro, the app is unresponsive. Since the app is funky or turns black when you put it in full screen, this could be an issue with the app itself or something running in the background that is interfering. One thing you can do is to boot the computer into safe mode to isolate other software causing this to happen.

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

User uploaded file

If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode

If an issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
  • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Messages App on Macbook Pro is unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.