Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert old .mov to current?

I work a lot of old .mov files. I understand that the current .mov uses a different codec and many new software products accept only the new codec for editing, DVD burning, conversion to other formats, etc. What is the best way to convert / upgrade the files to the new codec. I have tried bringing up the old files (.mov files produced by FCP v.7) in Quicktime then exporting them to a copy presumably in the new codec. There seems to be success in this approach but the DVDs produced are glitchy. So perhaps there is a better codec upgrade/conversion route?

Now working with High Sierra 10.13.1. These .mov files were all working normally with OS 10.10, if I remember correctly.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), Premiere Pro / Wondershare Vid Conv

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 8:56 PM

What is the best way to convert / upgrade the files to the new codec.

Depends on your source compression format(s), goals, workflow requirements and system configuration.

If the original FCP v7 MOV compression formats are still supported by the current FCPX "Pro" codec package but the codecs are not currently installed, then install them or upgrade to a High Sierra compatible "Pro" app that also includes installation access.

If the files are already QTX playback/conversion supported by your current system configuration, then you may want to convert them to Apple ProRes422/LPCM intermediate files if your goal is archival file storage and editing as such files are now compatible with all standard QTX codec and "Pro" app codec systems since the release of Mavericks. On the other hand, if you simply want to convert the files to a general playback or distribution compression format, you might consider the H.264/AAC compression format in MP4, M4V, or MOV file formats. (I personally would likely encode the data as H.264 Main or High profile @ L3.1 video with AAC 160 Kbps @ 48.0KHz audio to ensure greatest compatibility with both modern and legacy media apps.)

If the original FCP v7 files were encoded using third-party/proprietary apps no longer supported by your current system codec configuration, I would likely try conversions using an FFmpegX-based app to determine if they can still be transcoded. Possible target compression formats for this workflow would depend on the specific app being used.

There seems to be success in this approach but the DVDs produced are glitchy. So perhaps there is a better codec upgrade/conversion route?

It is unclear here if you are referring to the authoring of standard "muxed" MPEG-2/PCM or MPEG-2/AC3 DVDs or burning H.264/AAC data DVDs for playback in QTX/QT7 player apps directly from the disc. If the former, please indicate the specific nature of your issues. In the latter case I would use a QT7-based app to encode the H.264/AAC data using the "Optimize for DVD/CD-ROM" pop-up setting option to ensure proper "data packaging" for direct DVD playback.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 8:56 PM in response to Zaidie

What is the best way to convert / upgrade the files to the new codec.

Depends on your source compression format(s), goals, workflow requirements and system configuration.

If the original FCP v7 MOV compression formats are still supported by the current FCPX "Pro" codec package but the codecs are not currently installed, then install them or upgrade to a High Sierra compatible "Pro" app that also includes installation access.

If the files are already QTX playback/conversion supported by your current system configuration, then you may want to convert them to Apple ProRes422/LPCM intermediate files if your goal is archival file storage and editing as such files are now compatible with all standard QTX codec and "Pro" app codec systems since the release of Mavericks. On the other hand, if you simply want to convert the files to a general playback or distribution compression format, you might consider the H.264/AAC compression format in MP4, M4V, or MOV file formats. (I personally would likely encode the data as H.264 Main or High profile @ L3.1 video with AAC 160 Kbps @ 48.0KHz audio to ensure greatest compatibility with both modern and legacy media apps.)

If the original FCP v7 files were encoded using third-party/proprietary apps no longer supported by your current system codec configuration, I would likely try conversions using an FFmpegX-based app to determine if they can still be transcoded. Possible target compression formats for this workflow would depend on the specific app being used.

There seems to be success in this approach but the DVDs produced are glitchy. So perhaps there is a better codec upgrade/conversion route?

It is unclear here if you are referring to the authoring of standard "muxed" MPEG-2/PCM or MPEG-2/AC3 DVDs or burning H.264/AAC data DVDs for playback in QTX/QT7 player apps directly from the disc. If the former, please indicate the specific nature of your issues. In the latter case I would use a QT7-based app to encode the H.264/AAC data using the "Optimize for DVD/CD-ROM" pop-up setting option to ensure proper "data packaging" for direct DVD playback.

User uploaded file

Dec 11, 2017 2:22 PM in response to Zaidie

However, I seized on the FFmpegX comment as a route I could take as a practical experiment and found Handbrake, which I am now getting a little familiar with.

HandBrake is an excellent app. It provides presets which the novice can use to target specific end use encodes, as well as, provides manual control of specific settings and features likely to be employed by advanced users. I use it regularly to create H.264/AAC/AC3/Chapter and H.265/AAC/AC3/Chapter content for my iTunes library, websites and macOS, iOS, and/or tvOS devices.

I will try now a proof-of-process and produce a DVD with the MP4 converted through Handbrake and see where that lands me.

Since HandBrake does not have the built-in "Optimize for CVD/CD-ROM" setting previously mentioned, you may wish to start out by running tests in the single-pass, average bitrate mode. What you really want is a constant data rate that matches the data read/data throughput capabilities of the slowest DVD player on which the optical disc is to be played. Unfortunately, video content data rate requirements can vary drastically depending on the graphic complexity and resolution of the subject matter. The HandBrake "Constant Quality" setting allows the data rate to vary as high or as low as needed to achieve the constant level of quality you have selected. The "Average Bitrate" setting tends to do the same thing but employs negative feedback to "limit" changes in the data rate and thus tends the reduce instantaneous data rate excursions. This may sound like a lot of gobbledygook, but all it really means is that you must determine how fast your DVD player can play your video data from the disc and then encode your files so that your video player isn't trying to play the videos faster than your DVD player can read the data.

My first question though is that the total file size is radically different -- the on .mov was 3.87GB and this mp4 is 165.9MB. Does that mean I'm losing a lot of quality?

That really depends on whether the MOV file and the MP4 file were encoded using the same codec at the same resolution using equivalent settings. Basically, different codecs have different efficiency ratings. In this case, if both files were encoded as H.264 video at the same resolution, them my guess would be that the combined total AV data rate of the MP4 file is only about 1/23 that of the source MOV file and has probably lost most of its visual quality. On the other hand, if the MOV file contained DV/AIFF compressed data or AIC/AIFF, then the MP4 file could well have little or no loss in visual quality since these MOV codecs are "low-efficiency" while the H.264/AAC codecs are more modern, "high-efficiency" codecs.

One concern is maintaining whatever best quality I have in the archiving process, if that mp4 is to be the archiving "standard" format.

I tend to consider H.264/AAC to be a distribution format unless you are encoding the material at AVCHD/BD quality levels. I was referring to Apple ProRes422 as an archival/intermediate editing video compression format. It basically replaced AIC (Apple Intermedia Codec) as the "poor man's" archival/intermediate codec and is now included in all macOS releases since Mavericks. It won't improve the quality of legacy video content being updated but should, in most cases, prevent further loss of quality while providing compatibility with modern QTX-based apps. It's major disadvantage is that it is an extremely low-efficiency codec creating huge files but does support UHD resolutions up to 8K which most non-pro users aren't even worried about at this time. You must decide for yourself which codec is best for archiving your file content and at what level of quality.

User uploaded file

Dec 11, 2017 10:18 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for the quick reply. I must admit I get the idea of your comments but perhaps not the full understanding -- I'm an old-time editor and at a true loss when confronted by an arm's length list of different codecs and potential combinations of frame rates, audio rates, etc. However, I seized on the FFmpegX comment as a route I could take as a practical experiment and found Handbrake, which I am now getting a little familiar with. I will try now a proof-of-process and produce a DVD with the MP4 converted through Handbrake and see where that lands me. My first question though is that the total file size is radically different -- the on .mov was 3.87GB and this mp4 is 165.9MB. Does that mean I'm losing a lot of quality? One concern is maintaining whatever best quality I have in the archiving process, if that mp4 is to be the archiving "standard" format.

Convert old .mov to current?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.