Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempting to burn disc. Error 0x80004005 appears. Cannot burn disc.

Attempting to burn playlists to disc. Burns first song then error code 0x80004005 appears. This occurred after installing latest update of iTunes. Re-downloaded iTunes but that did not resolve problem.

Please advise

iPod touch (4th generation)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 6:10 PM

almafromlovington wrote:

I called support and was told it was a copy write issue from an album that I PURCHASED from them. I have Windows 10 so I opened Windows Media Player and burned the CD from there with NO problem.

There would appear to be a general issue burning from iTunes 12.7.2.x for Windows.

A workaround is to uninstall iTunes then download and install one of the following as appropriate:

tt2

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2017 6:10 PM in response to almafromlovington

almafromlovington wrote:

I called support and was told it was a copy write issue from an album that I PURCHASED from them. I have Windows 10 so I opened Windows Media Player and burned the CD from there with NO problem.

There would appear to be a general issue burning from iTunes 12.7.2.x for Windows.

A workaround is to uninstall iTunes then download and install one of the following as appropriate:

tt2

Dec 23, 2017 3:15 PM in response to egrannum

Save yourself the two hours and going up 3 levels of corporate idiocy on the phone with iTunes support. Nobody wants to admit it, but there is a problem with the iTunes software update. If you want to go through Apple's dog-and-pony show, and burn up 8 perfectly good CD's to find out that "yes, there is no problem with your CD burner," be my guest. I had the guy at Apple support remotely logged on to my computer and directed him right to Apple's own community forums that show that everyone is complaining about this? Huh? Yeah, that's right. I pulled up the 14+ pages of complaints and he says "well, that's not many people complaining, it must be an isolated incident." I pointed out that unless your burn CD's all the time, you normally wouldn't notice it until you wanted to burn one, which might be 3 weeks or more after an update. They already know about it and maybe somebody will work on it after the holidays. They are not going to admit that it's their software unless you ask some really direct questions and call them out on their BS when they try to feed you a line of it. Nope. Just like they're not going to admit they throttled your old iphone to make you buy a newer model.

Dec 22, 2017 3:21 PM in response to bryceem

I updated to the latest version and have the same problem - but only when burning an audio CD. Burning an MP3 CD worked fine. I'm sure that doesn't solve the problem for many of us, but it is, at least, diagnostic. I usually burn a disc to do a radio show and this lets me do a workaround. Frustrating - come on, apple, fix this.

Dec 23, 2017 8:36 AM in response to almafromlovington

I tested the copyright hypothesis by burning an audio disc on i-Tunes from a CD I purchased. sure enough, it burned fine.

This is still very frustrating - i have 83,000 songs in i-Tunes and no clue which came from purchases I made vs. purchased from i-Tunes. I have been burning audio discs for my radio show for seven years and this latest version if i-Tunes is the fuirst time I have had this problem. Arghh!

Dec 23, 2017 4:15 PM in response to honeybadger619

I tried an experiment - I created a playlist (of Jimmy LaFave songs and cover\rs) entirely from YouTube - and then tried to burn an audio disc. Got the **** error message after the first song. Then I went back and burned another disk - this time as an mp3. No problem at all!

Clearly the latest version of i-Tunes has a bug. how do we get apple to fix it?

Dec 25, 2017 10:35 AM in response to egrannum

I've run into this error burning WAVs and MP3s - no iTunes files.
I also previously tried burning a CD that was 78:47 in length... and was told it was too long for one CD. I've been able to successfully burn CDs up to 79:40 before. So I used another piece of software and burned it successfully. What's going on with iTunes...I think I'm going to start moving away from my reliance...but have so many AAC files! Does any other software read/play/burn them?

Dec 29, 2017 4:29 AM in response to honeybadger619

Causes of Error 0x80004005

Corrupt download or incomplete installation of Windows Disc Image Burner software.

Corruption in Windows registry from a recent Windows Disc Image Burner-related software change (install or uninstall).

Virus or malware infection that has corrupted Windows system files or Windows Disc Image Burner-related program files.

Another program maliciously or mistakenly deleted Windows Disc Image Burner-related files.

Runtime Errors such as “Error 0x80004005” can be caused by a variety of factors, so it is important that you troubleshoot each of the possible causes to prevent it from recurring.

Nothing to do with itunes

Dec 29, 2017 7:05 AM in response to turingtest2

Yeah cool beans - never even noticed the itunes for mac posting.

I see your point about the reversion fixing it. That doesn't mean that itunes is to blame - I'm using 12.7.2 for cd burns and having no issue on windows 10 myself - and everyone gets the same copy of itunes. Some I am suggesting it is the software environment or some element contained that could be causing it. I also acknowledge that if the element is native to windows then Apple should make their program compatible, if the element is a third party one then the problem is not an Apple or windows problem. It's just I haven't seen enough evidence on this issue to **** Apple or Microsoft at all. Just speculation.

Jan 13, 2018 9:22 AM in response to turingtest2

Reverting to iTunes 12.7.1.14 (following turingtest2's link) seems to have fixed this issue for me. I first uninstalled iTunes 12.7.2.x and all related components before installing the older version.

There was another issue I had, which was also fixed by this procedure. Even though I was attempting to burn to an 80 minute disc, if the playlist was even 1:18 in length iTunes 12.7.2 would report that the playlist was too long to burn (I could burn the same playlist in Windows Media Player, however). I can now burn the same playlist with no problem on the older version of iTunes.

Thank you so much, turingtest2. Let's hope Apple gets this all straightened out.

Jan 25, 2018 11:55 PM in response to egrannum

Aha! Apple seems to have quietly fixed this problem. I installed the latest latest latest (I say this because it seems every time I open iTunes on my PC there's a new version to install) version of iTunes - 12.7.3.46, released Jan 23/18 - and I'm no longer getting this error message after the first track of an audio CD is burned. So far, for me CD burning is back to working fine. I say "quietly" because the description of the Version 12.7.3.46 is "This update includes minor application and performance improvements.". Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Attempting to burn disc. Error 0x80004005 appears. Cannot burn disc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.