Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Request for the headphone use case for multiple products

Hello Dear Apple Product Team,

Within a couple month period, I bought a MacBook Air and an iPhone 8. I would like to use my iPhone 8 headphones for my MacBook Air. It is a crucial use case for me to use my headphones while I am on a call and/or presentation with my MacBook Air. What would have been the most effective solution for this use case?

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 12:09 PM

14 replies

Dec 10, 2017 12:16 PM in response to machiavellithedon

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. You're not addressing Apple here.

The headphones that came with your iPhone will not work with your Mac.

You should buy headphones that fit your computer and use the adapter that came with your iPhone to use those headphones with your iPhone.

If you're going to be doing very much calling using your computer, you're better off getting a USB headset with a proper microphone.

You can submit feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 10, 2017 12:33 PM in response to Kappy

The headphones that come with the iPhone 7 and later plug into the lightning port. They also come with an adapter that allow you to use standard headsets with the iPhones that don't have a headphone jack.

• EarPods with Lightning Connector
  • Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter

AirPods use BT but they are a separate purchase.

And yes, BT headsets would be another good option for the OP, one which I failed to mention.

Dec 10, 2017 12:15 PM in response to machiavellithedon

I'm not sure I quite understand you, but the earbuds that come with an iPhone 8 use BlueTooth which suggests you can use them on the computer by enabling BlueTooth and pairing the earbuds with the computer. However, I don't know if they will work on two separate BT connections at the same time. But you can certainly give it a try. Won't hurt anything.

Dec 10, 2017 12:28 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

How do they connect? I understood the adapter was to use standard headphones that have 3.5mm plugs because the 7 and later had no headphone jack. I thought the earbuds used BT. Mine are still in the case since I have no use for them. They don't fit in my ear very well. I've never tried to use them.

As for the OP if the earbuds don't use BT, then perhaps a better solution for her/him would be a BT headset for both listening and speaking.

Dec 10, 2017 2:45 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

This past month I traded my ten-year-old Acura TLS for a 2018 Toyota Camry XLE in which I can pair my iPhone via BT to the car's audio system. It copied my playlists so whenever I'm in the car with my iPhone and BT turned on I get all my wonderful Jazz tracks for entertainment. I don't need Sirius XM anymore. In fact, the car can't connect to Sirius - no satellite antenna and no Nav system. Kind of nifty. My wife has a 2017 Camry Hybrid but it has the Nav system and Sirius XM.

Be sure when you get your next car that it has BT to use with your iPhone. You'll love it.

Dec 10, 2017 7:27 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Indeed. The Acura lasted 10 years and hardly needed more than oil and tires. It was an excellent car. Unfortunately, its new replacement was too much. The Camry was less expensive for more and a car ranked number one everywhere. So I'm hoping it will be my last car. I'll be 86 when it's ten years old. I don't drive even 2,000 miles each year so it should be in great shape in ten years. Better shape than I. Assuming I'm still around. ๐Ÿ˜

Dec 10, 2017 7:45 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I'd love if you were right, but the odds are against it. But I've beaten odds before. Maybe I will be lucky. I have diabetes which greatly lowers one's odds of living longer. I was also a long-term smoker. I did quit five years or so ago but still have borderline COPD and lost almost half of my lung capacity. These aren't exactly things that improve your odds of living longer. Not complaining since all of my health problems are my fault. But if you keep pushing maybe I'll do better. If I made 90 you won't hear me complain!! I'll wish the same to you, ole lady. ๐Ÿ˜

Dec 11, 2017 6:31 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

I'd love if you were right, but the odds are against it. But I've beaten odds before. Maybe I will be lucky. I have diabetes which greatly lowers one's odds of living longer. I was also a long-term smoker. I did quit five years or so ago but still have borderline COPD and lost almost half of my lung capacity. These aren't exactly things that improve your odds of living longer. Not complaining since all of my health problems are my fault. But if you keep pushing maybe I'll do better. If I made 90 you won't hear me complain!! I'll wish the same to you, ole lady. ๐Ÿ˜

I will follow you all the way, occasionally with a pointy stick to urge you on. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Request for the headphone use case for multiple products

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.