Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not saving Jabber password

Hi there.

With High Sierra's release I decided to do a fresh install of several Macs, both clients and servers. I set up the Jabber server just like I've done in the past but now clients will not connect to it without having to enter their password each time. Client machines are bound via Open Directory and the user account and password for login to MacOS are the same ones used to login to the Jabber server.

Here's the problem, in Messages > Preferences > Accounts I enter the relevant details, including the password then enable the account. As soon as I set the status from "Offline" to "Available", the password disappears from the box on the accounts pane and a popup appears asking for the password! On the last try, I had to enter the password four times before it was accented on the Jabber account went online. This popup password request happens every time Messages is started. "Remember password" is checked but makes no difference.

This all worked fine on Sierra but this new OS has broken messages on all the client machines I've tried it on - at least seven. Any help appreciated.

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 12:20 PM

1 reply

Dec 11, 2017 1:27 PM in response to Roger Angus

Hi,

For GoogleTalk (A Jabber server) I had to remove the previous Google account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts and then create a new Google account (that does not include Messages AND a separate Messages Account for the Login to the Jabber server.

I could not set up the account using the Jabber Create item in the Messages Menu or by starting in Messages > Preferences > Accounts.

The first created access to the Buddy List but no access to the Chats new or old.

The second would not let be delete the account created from the Menu item as it did not show up 9it seemed to be linked to the previous set up in Sierra and the details in the Internet Accounts which is why I deleted it there.

Previously in Sierra the Google account has only been set up by Adding it first in Messages then enabling Mail in the Internet account - despite the fact that Google used to use two different Servers for Mail and GoogleTalk.

Now both seem to use google.com

I would suggest that you Start from Internet Accounts and Create specific Messages account after clearing out Messages > Preferences > Accounts as much as you can before hand.

User uploaded file

9:27 pm Monday; December 11, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Messages not saving Jabber password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.