Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am not sure if my iMac is running too hot

Hello,

I have a 21,5 inch Late 2009 iMac. Processor 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

I recently changed the original HDD with a new WD Blue 3 TB. I heard a fan was running too fast every single time I used the computer but it only happened 10 minutes after the start time. I checked which fan was working too fast and I saw HDD Fan was working over 6000 rpm.

The measures of temperature sensors are like this: (I don't do any kind of heavy stuff with this computer)

Ambient 26.2 C

CPU Heatsink 44.8 C

LCD Proximity 39.6 C

MCP Heatsink 55.4 C

Optical Drive 38.2 C

PSU Primary 51.8 C

HDD 36.0 C

If you can help me figure out if there is a problem, I would be so happy.

Thank you all very much,

Regards

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:55 PM

Because you did not replace the HDD with a compatible HDD you will need to use an In-Line Digital Thermal Sensor.

see > OWC Digital Thermal Sensor for 2009-2010 iMac HD Upgrade

For more info, see > https://blog.macsales.com/2751-proprietary-cable-can-put-the-brakes-on-upgrading -late-09-imacs

4 replies

Dec 10, 2017 11:55 PM in response to cem136

Temps are looking pretty good/decent.

I do not see any super high temps, but if you want even lower temps, you could purchase a small (7- 9 inch diameter, or so) portable variable fan and have it blow on the back of the iMac’s aluminum back pane, on the side of the iMac that gets the warmest/hottest, to help reduce the heat even further.

Good Luck to You!

I am not sure if my iMac is running too hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.