Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio distortion with Airplay??

Hello,

Last night I started having problems on Airplay between my MacBook Air and AppleTV 4.

The audio from my bluetooth headphones is distorted and there is a very load hiss.

I have reconnecting the headphones, restarting the MacBook and even PRAM/NVRAM resets but the distortion persists.

The problem with the audio only occurs with the bluetooth headphones.

Can anyone suggest a solution and even a case?

Regards

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 1:07 PM

8 replies

Dec 11, 2017 4:16 PM in response to NeddySeagoon

Thanks for testing that, NeddySeagoon, and for clarifying that this only occurs when you're AirPlaying from your Mac to your Apple TV.

Next I would like you to power cycle the Apple TV.

How to restart your Apple TV

Restart your Apple TV

You can restart your Apple TV from Settings, use your remote, or unplug it from power.

Your Apple TV doesn't have a power button.

Use Settings

Use your remote

Unplug Apple TV

If the Settings menu and your remote don't restart your device, unplug your Apple TV from power. Wait six seconds, then plug it back in.

After restarting the Apple TV, AirPlay from the MacBook to the Apple TV and use your Bluetooth headphones again.

If the issue persists, start up the Mac in safe mode and then test again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Please let us know that this resolved the Bluetooth audio issue.

Best wishes.

Dec 12, 2017 2:45 AM in response to jeremy_v

jeremy_v wrote:

Thanks for testing that, NeddySeagoon, and for clarifying that this only occurs when you're AirPlaying from your Mac to your Apple TV.

Next I would like you to power cycle the Apple TV.

How to restart your Apple TV

Restart your Apple TV

You can restart your Apple TV from Settings, use your remote, or unplug it from power.

Your Apple TV doesn't have a power button.

Use Settings

Use your remote

Unplug Apple TV

If the Settings menu and your remote don't restart your device, unplug your Apple TV from power. Wait six seconds, then plug it back in.

After restarting the Apple TV, AirPlay from the MacBook to the Apple TV and use your Bluetooth headphones again.

If the issue persists, start up the Mac in safe mode and then test again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Please let us know that this resolved the Bluetooth audio issue.

Best wishes.

Hello,

There is no Airplay option in Safe Mode.

Dec 11, 2017 1:41 PM in response to NeddySeagoon

Hello there NeddySeagoon!

Thanks for joining us at the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're hearing distorted audio in your headphones when connected via Bluetooth. I'm happy to help you out today.

Let's try pairing your Bluetooth headphones to another device to check that the distorted audio is only with your Mac or with your Apple TV.

Pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please let me know if the headphones experience distortion on other devices or just with your Mac or Apple TV.

Take care.

Dec 11, 2017 3:44 PM in response to jeremy_v

There is no problem with the bluetooth headphones when used with an iPhone, the Macbook one AppleTV.

It only occurs when using Airplay. The words and music are barely audible but the distortion and buzzing sound is very loud.

I have also been able to test a second set of bluetooth earphones. The interference was different on the first test - I could hear the words and music, but the was a buzzing sound. On a second test, I had difficulty reconnecting the MacBook and AppleTV on Airplay, then the audio played at the correct volume but the distortion I hear on the other headphones occurred on the second.

I have had no problems with the first bluetooth headphones for the last twelve months until Saturday night. There are are no new devices in the house.

audio distortion with Airplay??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.