Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Invites Not Working

Hello,

I'm having an issue inviting people to share my Hue accessories through HomeKit. When I enter an Apple ID to send the invite I get the message "Invitation Failed. Could not invite ___ because the Apple ID is not registered with iCloud."

The email is absolutely registered with iCloud. I've tried multiple Apple ID's and reset my HomeKit but still receive the same error message. Has anyone had this issue before? I have the latest software running on all my devices and my Hue accessories are up to date as well.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 11:59 AM

Hello.

Very frustrating indeed.

After hours of searching the web for answers to the "invitation failed" issue, I have finally decided to write in this thread to let some steam off.

Still in ios 11.2.2, I managed to invite and connect the wife (after some trouble, but not much). Still, it's seems totally impossible to get an invite through to any of the two kids. They can create a home and send an invite to me, but that will never reach me.

So, I own the home.

Yes, the kids have valid Apple-IDs. (Not xxx@icloud.com, but other email addresses.)

Got latest software on Apple TV.

As suggested in numerous posts, we've logged off/and on iCloud (or Apple-ID as the iPhone calls it). (To be honest I don't know the difference...)

As of today we are on ios 11.2.5. Posts from beta testers implie that now, finally, everything should work. Well, it doesn't.

In many threads I get the impression that people actually succeed in getting everything set up. But each in their very individual way. There's a lot of "log out of EVERY device", "restart this and that", "be sure to activate key ring", "update software", and so on and so on. Testing all tips in every possible order would take hour and hours. I assume Apple did not intend for HomeKit to be so hard to set up.

I'll rest now for a few days to see if someone can come up with a set-up routine that works for everybody.

If not, I can only come to the conclusion that HomeKit is not working, and Apple is not intending to get it to work.

Please forgive my rambling, I've had a bad Apple day.

Anders.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2018 11:59 AM in response to Mike.a.shultz

Hello.

Very frustrating indeed.

After hours of searching the web for answers to the "invitation failed" issue, I have finally decided to write in this thread to let some steam off.

Still in ios 11.2.2, I managed to invite and connect the wife (after some trouble, but not much). Still, it's seems totally impossible to get an invite through to any of the two kids. They can create a home and send an invite to me, but that will never reach me.

So, I own the home.

Yes, the kids have valid Apple-IDs. (Not xxx@icloud.com, but other email addresses.)

Got latest software on Apple TV.

As suggested in numerous posts, we've logged off/and on iCloud (or Apple-ID as the iPhone calls it). (To be honest I don't know the difference...)

As of today we are on ios 11.2.5. Posts from beta testers implie that now, finally, everything should work. Well, it doesn't.

In many threads I get the impression that people actually succeed in getting everything set up. But each in their very individual way. There's a lot of "log out of EVERY device", "restart this and that", "be sure to activate key ring", "update software", and so on and so on. Testing all tips in every possible order would take hour and hours. I assume Apple did not intend for HomeKit to be so hard to set up.

I'll rest now for a few days to see if someone can come up with a set-up routine that works for everybody.

If not, I can only come to the conclusion that HomeKit is not working, and Apple is not intending to get it to work.

Please forgive my rambling, I've had a bad Apple day.

Anders.

Dec 30, 2017 7:37 PM in response to Mike.a.shultz

Is there seriously no fix for this garbage? Every time I want to invite someone to share my homekit, I have a nightmare of a time doing it.

This time, my wife and I moved, and the lightbulbs I was using are in new locations and have been renamed and reallocated to rooms with rooms added and modified and new scenes recorded. Her phone can't access any of the new information and can only recall scenes it previously knew, with the original lightbulbs (regardless of their current locations). I removed her from the homekit and attempted to resend an invitation to her, but the homekit app is alerting me the same warning message "Invitation Failed. Could not invite ___ because the Apple ID is not registered with iCloud." I am holding her phone in my hand and looking at her iCloud settings, and the email address is definitely registered with iCloud, but just in case, I also tried her @iCloud email address, and the initial email address she signed up for iCloud with, when she got her first iTunes account. Same problem with all three addresses.

My wife cannot turn on any lights in the house, nor set any of the scenes I have programmed for her. This is an unacceptable level of ineptitude.

Jan 24, 2018 1:04 PM in response to anders116

Same issue, same frustration here. I can access to HomeKit just from the main device/account, no way whatsoever to have it working from guest iPhones. iOS 11.2.5 did not change anything. I’m sick and tired to log in log out reset change account enable keyring and so on. I assume it should simply work. One reason I accept to pay more for Apple stuff is that I don’t want to waste my time in troubleshooting the Android multiverse, but it looks like that even Apple now needs you to waste ages in debugging their stuff. I also call the Apple Support, they had absolutely no clue, non even on how HomeKit was supposed to work.

Feb 21, 2018 2:09 PM in response to anders116

RESOLVED:

We were both on @me.com id's and changing to @icloud.com id's and logging out and back in on all devices did not fix the issue, as some other related posts had said would happen.

We both were on IOS 11.2.5 on iphone 6 and 5S and could not invite ourselves, nor each other. Just upgraded last night to 11.2.6 and BOOM, invites are all of a sudden seen and can be accepted.

Finally we can now Both manage our Nanoleaf Aurora lights.

I just wish Apple had made it more well known that the issue with security was a known issue and that they purposefully blocked the ability for us to invite users until the new ios version was pushed out.

Feb 24, 2018 7:25 PM in response to Gr8tim

Thanks! You’re absolutely right! It’s a problem with the 11.2.5 OS. Home wouldn’t update on my wife’s phone so I had to remove her & add her back, except she couldn’t get my invites. It was because she hadn’t updated from 11.2.5 to 11.2.6 yet. Updated her phone & everything is working properly... finally.

Mar 29, 2018 2:21 PM in response to JohnyEzz

Doesn't the Hue app still work on iOS 10.x?

No, she can't update to iOS 11.x because it is a fully 64bit OS while the chipset in the iPhone 5c is not. The only way Apple would be able to upgrade that phone would be if they did a hardware upgrade with a new CPU.

I suggest you go to the android OS so you can automatically share all your phone calls and text messages with Facebook automatically.

HomeKit Invites Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.