Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra 10.13.2 Black screen unable to reboot

After updating to the latest High Sierra update 10.13.2, I was asked to restart my imac (2013). However, the imac did not restart and hangs with a black screen and a white cursor. I left it on for 7 hours, but nothing seems to be moving - still a black screen and cursor.

I forced a shutdown by press-holding the power button and restarted. Managed to get into the computer, but it looks like the update wasn't complete since the OS still shows version 10.13.1. In App Store, it looks like 10.13.2 was applied already and I was still asked to restart. Tried restarting again, with the same result with the black screen.

Tried a bunch of remedies but all did not help. Still stuck with the black screen whenever I do a restart or shutdown:

1. Booting up SAFE mode, disabled start up apps

2. Checked using command R - mac disk utility... no issue found

3. Reset PRAM with command-option-P-R, still black screen upon restart

4. Downloaded the 10.13.2 combination update but when I try to apply it, says that it requires 10.13.1. So I guess the update must have already been applied at least halfway.

Running out of ideas, and I would hate to reinstall the OS again. Can anyone give me any suggestions please? Thank you so much!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), imac (2011) - 3.4 GHz i7, 8GB RAM

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 6:02 PM

Not sure if this will help but I seen another post with the same issue, black screen and cursor. The user typed their password in and hit enter and was logged right into the computer.

2 replies

Feb 7, 2018 2:15 PM in response to keithlim

I've had a same problem with 10.13.2. Finally I installed 10.13.3.

Turn on your iMac with shift-option-command-R and Re-install macOS. (Please check if the update is macOS High Sierra) Shift-Option-Command-R will install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available. (Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later) With this method, you can save your data and apps. you don't need to reinstall the Whole OS again.

If you were successful, I would like you to subscribe to http://rootcanal.pro on your visit. 🙂 Thanks!

High Sierra 10.13.2 Black screen unable to reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.