Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

proxies do not re-link (original media does)

My imported media is not stored in the library but in an external folder. I imported media and created proxies. All good so far. I copied everything to another computer and opened the library. I re-directed the media location, cache etc.. I re-linked all files. This works for original media but not for proxy media. They are still contained in the subfolder "Final Cut Proxy Media" but FCPX does not see them.

I have to create new proxies which is annoying. But it's getting even more strange because FCPX creates files like "694217AD45964E99312B55A7698BA83E-proxy-P1011705" The have the same size like the already existing proxies. After all proxies are created I can quit FCPX, delete these strange files and FCPx does find the already existing proxies which were copied from the other computer. Same thing happens from computer A to B and fromB to A

User uploaded file

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 2:40 PM

17 replies

Dec 10, 2017 2:58 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. I might have expressed it wrong. I did not move the media I wanted to handover the job from the iMac to the MBP and back. This worked before just by copying the job folder and re-linking media files. I have no idea what happens that only original media is seen but not the proxies. They already exist in the "Final Cut Proxy Media"folderUser uploaded file

Dec 10, 2017 2:47 PM in response to stefong

You should do this from inside the application. If you want to copy your media to a new location on another drive, modify your library settings to have media stored in the folder you want on the new drive. Then run the consolidate function to copy the media to that location. The application will then know where everything is and no relinking will be necessary.

I don't understand why your proxies are not being created in the correct location.

Dec 10, 2017 3:06 PM in response to stefong

The consolidate procedure doesn't move external media, it copies it. If you copy the libraries and media from one drive to another drive, if the drive has the same name, the file path is identical and you shouldn't have to do anything. Just start the library and it should look to same location to find the media on the drive the libray's on.

Dec 11, 2017 12:17 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I tried to do in the way you suggested: I changed the location of media content from the folder outside of the library to "In Library", than consolidate. The problem is that FCPX copies all files into the library but still keeps the primary files (original and proxies) in the external folder. This needs double space on the hard drive and takes double time for copying.

Dec 12, 2017 1:52 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

sorry Tom I didn't get that and many thanks for your help.

current status:

Pegasus R8 is attached to the editing iMac. Job folder structure see above. All media is stored in CLIPS. Original, and proxy files.

My plan:

I want to transfer the job folder to the MacBookPro to go on with editing when I am traveling.

I copied the folder to an USB hard drive, either copy from there to the MBP or edit on the drive. After that I copy/synchronize everything back to the iMac.

Open the library on the other volume and re-linking footage works fine except proxies are not detected. Is that a bug? Is something wrong on my workflow?

Dec 12, 2017 3:42 AM in response to stefong

You have both drive connected to your system. Drive A holds the current library and the folder with media called CLIPS. Drive B is empty let's say.

In the Finder you copy the active library from A to B.

You open the new library on B. It's still looking at the media on A for its content.

You select the library in FCP and in settings in the inspector modify the media location, creating a new folder on B called CLIPS, or whatever you want.

You click the consolidate button, and FCP copies the media from CLIPS on A to CLIPS on B. The library is now looking to B for its media, and has everything that was in A, proxies, render files, optimized, analysis files, exactly as it was on A.

Dec 12, 2017 5:14 AM in response to stefong

You're now in a two editor collaboration workflow. You use transfer libraries to pass content back and forth. You copy everything you want to transfer to a new event in the library on drive B. Make sure you put it in an event first. You make a new library on drive B copy the event you created into the new library. The library goes to drive A. The event is copied into the original library and the content relinked to CLIPS on drive A.

You should do a little research into working with transfer libraries, and collaborative workflows in FCPX. There's been some excellent stuff written about the processes.

Dec 14, 2017 12:38 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

this is how it works to handover a job to another computer without creating proxies again.

There is no need for establishing a collaborative workflow if only one person is editing the library.

After setting the location of your media to a folder on your computer you import all files.

The media will be copied into this external folder.

Than you change the location of your media from the folder to Library.

Now you create proxies. Don't consolidate.

Proxies will be created into the library but your media is still connected to the external folder.

Copy everything to a hard drive or to another computer.

Open the library on the other computer.

You have to re-link your media at the external folder but the proxies are still seen by FCPX.

If you import new media change the location again, then switch back to library and create proxies.

What's the advantage of the procedure?

You have acces to your media from other libraries without the need to open the library they are linked to primarily

You can copy the library and go on editing with your proxies without the need to copy all media.

hth.

proxies do not re-link (original media does)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.