Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-Use a Time Machine backup disk.

This is more of suggestion than a question - how to save yourself a bunch of time.

Having just upgraded my OS and got everything working (long story) - I wanted to establish a new, clean, Time Machine Backup - for this operating system (Sierra). I made the fatal mistake of trying to use an old Time Machine disk by deleting the backup files. It has taken about half a day to select 9 million files for Trashing, and is now going to take many more hours actually Emptying the Trash.

I am pretty sure that I could have gone into Disk Utility, re-initialised the disk in a couple of minutes, and been up and running the new TimeMachine Backup.

Complete waste of a day !!

Be warned !! (but perhaps you all knew it)

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 8Gb Memory

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:16 PM

Yes, you should have just erased the disk using Disk Utility. A lesson learned the hard way.

1 reply

Re-Use a Time Machine backup disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.