Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows shared printer via macOS High Sierra

After upgraded MacOS High Sierra 10.13.1, there's no error when I add printer from open directory printer, but actually no printer will be added. Anyone has some issue on 10.13 version add printer via windows print server?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 5:35 PM

9 replies

Dec 11, 2017 3:36 PM in response to m800support

Hello, m800support.

It's my understanding that you're unable to add a windows shared printer on your Mac. I may be able to help with this. Check out this article: macOS Sierra: Connect to a printer shared by a Windows computer

If you can’t add the Windows printer you want, the printer software your Mac has for it may not support printing to a shared Windows computer. Update the printer software on your Mac, or ask your network administrator for help. For more information, see Update or change printer software.

You may also want to reach out to the manufacturer of that printer to see if they any information about the printer.

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

​Cheers!

Dec 11, 2017 5:24 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks for your reply and support, I would like to emphasize that's no problem with other Mac OS which below 10.13 to connect to same windows print server. I have downloaded and updated the latest printer driver and check with your compatiable list in Printer and scanner software for macOS High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks - Apple Support.

Dec 12, 2017 8:42 AM in response to m800support

Hello, m800support.

Let's keep narrowing this down. Do you have any other Mac using High Sierra? If so, are you able to add the printer? This would help rule out the issue with the printer being not compatible with High Sierra. This would also explain why there are no issues with Macs using earlier versions of macOS.

You can also see if you can add the printer using a test user account and safe mode.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Keep us updated.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2017 6:25 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hello Jeremy,

Thanks for your information. We have over 50 Mac OS machines with different OS version which below 10.13. When we ordered new Macbook last month and it come with high serria OS. Then we found this problem to add Windows printer. We tried to download latest printer driver in Ricoh (http://support.ricoh.com/bb/pub_e/dr_ut_e/0001260/0001260099/V2300/Ricoh_PS_Prin ters_Vol1_EXP_LIO_2.3.0.0.dmg)

Logon as other user to add printer, reboot with safe mode to add prniter. The result are same.

Dec 19, 2017 11:44 AM in response to m800support

I am also experiencing this issue on an enterprise network. since upgrading, i lost connection to my networked printer. I tried to delete and re-add it, but when I do so, nothing shows up and no error message pops up. There are several other users on High Sierra who are experiencing the same issue. We have some other Macs running 10.12 that are able to communicate with the printer

Jan 24, 2018 3:00 PM in response to m800support

The problem is High Sierra cannot resolve shared printers that have a space in the share name. (i.e. I can add a shared printer named Room-1500_Xerox-5755 but I cannot add a printer named Room 1500_Xerox-5755.) I'm still looking for a fix (which probably does not exist) because we have about 80 shared Xerox copiers that all have a space in their name on our Windows print server. I have about 90 Macs that have this issue now.

windows shared printer via macOS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.