Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use @mac.com email address with 3rd party mail client

I have a @mac.com email address since many many years. It was working most of the time without problems. I always used this address with a 3rd-party client (Postbox) on my mac in the office and at home. I don't have setup iCloud and I will not use it in the future.

In June this year, apple came up with a new security voodoo, forcing me to setup a "two factor authorization" for my account. I couldn't manage that at this time. The result is, that I'm not able to grab my @mac.com email since June, not from the mac in the office, nor from the one at home!

I've just checked my Apple ID, I have my password, my security questions and the email address, but no hint anymore, how to set up a 3rd-party client to connect to the account and receive messages!

Thanks for any help (without iCloud!)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 11:09 AM

You need to enable 2 Factor Authentication on your Apple ID and create an app specific password to use. If your account won’t allow 2 Factor Authentication, try 2 step verification.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication

Two Factor Authentification availability

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verification App Specific Passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 11:09 AM in response to RedMack

You need to enable 2 Factor Authentication on your Apple ID and create an app specific password to use. If your account won’t allow 2 Factor Authentication, try 2 step verification.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication

Two Factor Authentification availability

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verification App Specific Passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ

Dec 13, 2017 1:58 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for asking, but there may be a misunderstanding. I'm not a native english speaker/writer, sorry. What I wanted to say is, that I don't like to enable Two-factor authentication on my @mac.com-Apple ID, mainly because I don't want to use any iCloud-services. Of course I know that Email is a kind of 'cloud'-service too, but it is still different to contact sharing or photo sharing. I have different Apple IDs for App store etc., so it's not this important to have an extra level of 'security' for my Email-Apple ID.

But maybe I'll give it a try, if we can clarify one thing: the document Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords says "To generate and use app-specific passwords, your Apple ID must be protected with two-factor authentication."

Does this mean, I can only use an app-specific password on the mac where it was generated and only with my Apple ID active in system preferences/iCloud?

Or can I generate app-specific passwords, e.g. for Thunderbird, on a one time authenticated mac and then transfer and use these passwords on different macs with no or different Appstore-Apple IDs?

The reason is, that I want to check my @mac.com-Emails on various macs, like it was possible until June '17, without having an Apple ID active in system preferences/iCloud. So is it possible to generate app-specific passwords on one system and transfer and use it on another?

Many thanks in advance for your time to answer!

Dec 11, 2017 11:08 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you very much, Eric, for your fast and extensive response! I've been through all the infos, but I must say, that neither the Two-factor authentication nor the Two Step Verification solves my problem!

Since a long time I used a different approach to get a little security: my @mac.com address was always only used as an Email-Account, like it was introduced about 15-20 years ago. When the Apple ID scheme was introduced, I set up a new one for the App store and a third one for other reasons, all with different passwords. So if somebody steal my @mac.com-Apple ID password, he could only read my emails, but has no contact to the store, iCloud or whatever.

But my @mac.com-Apple ID would by much more valuable, for Apple and who else is listening, if it is tied to all of my Macs and a phone with SMS-capabilities! This is data gathering! I don't see any "security" here.

For people living in the cloud, sharing contacts, photos and music, with iPhone, iPad and a mac, Apple ID-Two-factor authentication makes sense, eventually. But for me it's an Email-Address, which I'm not able to use anymore and I feel Apple is kicking me out...

Dec 13, 2017 2:35 PM in response to RedMack

You are welcome. You would use app specific passwords on 3rd party (non-Apple) e-mail programs such as Thunderbird when using your iCloud e-mail address. The password should work with other Macs, but I have seen instances where that didn't work and a second app specific password had to be generated.

I understand your reluctance to use 2 Factor Authentication.

How to use @mac.com email address with 3rd party mail client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.