Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue booting back into macOS from bootcamp Windows 10

Hello,

Recently I used bootcamp, on my Macbook Pro, to install Windows 10 along side macOS. All good and dandy, except when I need to boot back into macOS. If I try to use the bootcamp software from Windows to boot into macOS it gives an error about not being able to find the mac partition. When I use the "Shutdown" button from Windows, IE: Alt (to select target disk), Cmd+R, or Cmd+Alt+R, none of which work; it just boots right back into Windows.

However, if while in Windows I hold down the power button until my mac turns off, the key combos work perfectly.

Can anyone advise to what is happening and how I can fix it? Until then, I can keep force shutting down but it isn't the ideal solution.

Thank you for any advise!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 1:27 AM

ccr05 wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that. When I use the Shutdown option from within Windows (from the power menu), during the boot process my key commands are ignored; I've tried and tested it over ten times: nada.

If you have Windows Fast Startup enabled, windows does not 'fully' shutdown. Try a shutdown from the Start menu and disable Fast Startup.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 1:27 AM in response to ccr05

ccr05 wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that. When I use the Shutdown option from within Windows (from the power menu), during the boot process my key commands are ignored; I've tried and tested it over ten times: nada.

If you have Windows Fast Startup enabled, windows does not 'fully' shutdown. Try a shutdown from the Start menu and disable Fast Startup.

Dec 10, 2017 6:02 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

However, when I force shutdown (holding down the power button) my key commands (such as Alt to access Startup Manager) it works every time. This works, but isn't the ideal solution. Any idea why it requires a forced shutdown for this?

Issue booting back into macOS from bootcamp Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.