Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Genius

Lately I have been getting the result "Genius is Unavailable for the song" in iTunes. Is genius not updating anymore? There are some songs that have been in my library from over a year (a song that came out in 2016) that still won't get a genius playlist option.

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 6:18 PM

2 replies

Dec 10, 2017 6:30 PM in response to rmanradgh

I'd imagine some songs are so far off the beaten path that there is nothing to compare it to, and the Genius service cannot find anything even close.

There used to be this guy named Leon Redbone, and while his music wasn't particularly exciting, it also wasn't really any genre. Sorta blues, sorta jazz, sorta pop.

Grab a few top 40 hits. You'll see the Genius is working.

Jan 12, 2018 3:24 PM in response to Stuart423

The other guy never replied so we don't know if that worked for him.

Does Genius work for you?

The only place I can find it now in iTunes is File > New > Genius Playlist and it always returns the same thing regardless of what is selected: 'Genius is unavailable for the song "<name of song>"

the dialog asks if I want to update genius, if I click 'Update Genius', nothing seems to happen.

I've tried songs by Twenty One Pilots, Imagine Dragons and others that aren't off the beaten path (literally, Top 40) and no joy.

Seems like Genius is more of a legacy feature and anything dynamic and related to current music is trying to point you to Apple Music.

Itunes Genius

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.