Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inline images in Pages for iOS?

In the old AppleWorks, there were two types of images: inline and floating. With inline, images were placed at the insertion point and acted just like text. When you added text above the images, the images automatically flowed downward with the rest of the text. Floating images stayed in place and let text flow beneath them.

In Pages for iPad, drag and dropped images seem to act as a cross between the old inline and floating. Add text above a dropped image, and the image moves down, yet images can still be dragged around independently, dragged to the left of the margin, or dragged so they overlap one another.

This is is not what I want. I want the images to work like inline images, so if I move a piece of text that has an image attached to it, the image will move along with it. Even better would be to set the text as an outline, so I can rearrange each topic and the attached image moves along with it.

Is it possible to do this?

P.S. I couldn’t find a “Pages for iPad” forum in Apple Communities.

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 4:30 PM

"In the old AppleWorks, there were two types of images: inline and floating."

Also true in Pages for Mac up to Pages '09. Still true in Pages 5 and Pages 6, but now named "Move with text" and "Stay on page."

Since your question is aout Pages for iOS, I've requested the discussion be transferred to the iWork for iOS community.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 4:30 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

"In the old AppleWorks, there were two types of images: inline and floating."

Also true in Pages for Mac up to Pages '09. Still true in Pages 5 and Pages 6, but now named "Move with text" and "Stay on page."

Since your question is aout Pages for iOS, I've requested the discussion be transferred to the iWork for iOS community.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 11, 2017 5:23 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

"Not a fan of the forum redesign. I typed “pages” in the search forums box and it suggested only Pages for Mac."

Does make it difficult to find the right space!

The iOS versions of Numbers. Pages and Keynote are bundled in the iWork for iOS community. A bit weird, as they were packaged as "iWork" only in the Mac versions up to iWork '09, and haven't been promoted much (if at all) as parts of iWork for either iOS or iCloud.

Did you try Peter's suggestion?

Format [the paintbrush] > Arrange > Move with text > scroll down and you will find Inline with text

I took a look just now, and tried what he said. Had to revise the prcedure slightly:

Tap Format [the paintbrush] > Arrange > Move with text: Slide the switch left to turn it off.

Regards,

Barry

Inline images in Pages for iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.