Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac OS Extended partition not recognised in startup

I have a macbook pro retina 13' running on intel core i5, 8GB memory and 512 storage.

Since I updated to High Sierra (now version 10.13.1) I think it changed my volume type to APFS, but I need Mac OS Extended (Journaled). After some struggle to create a new partition with this volume type which I found the answer to here

macos high sierra - APFS Container Resize error code is 49153 - Stack Overflow,

I tried to restart my computer in the new partition. However, I could not see the Mac OS Extended partition I just created. I saw my windows partition I created some months ago and the APFS Mac volume, but no new partition. How do I make my mac recognise my new partition?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 10:19 AM

There is a "secret" to using HFS+ despite Apple's efforts to stop us. Open Disk Utility and select the physical disk entry as you see below:

User uploaded file

The selected disk is one formatted APFS. You can tell because the first sub-entry is a Container. Now click on the Erase button which will produce a dropdown panel. Select the HFS+, Journaled option from the Format: dropdown menu like below:

User uploaded file

When the dropdown panel returns click on the Erase button:

User uploaded file

The above will reformat an APFS disk to HFS+, Journaled or any other supported format.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 10:19 AM in response to G-negus

There is a "secret" to using HFS+ despite Apple's efforts to stop us. Open Disk Utility and select the physical disk entry as you see below:

User uploaded file

The selected disk is one formatted APFS. You can tell because the first sub-entry is a Container. Now click on the Erase button which will produce a dropdown panel. Select the HFS+, Journaled option from the Format: dropdown menu like below:

User uploaded file

When the dropdown panel returns click on the Erase button:

User uploaded file

The above will reformat an APFS disk to HFS+, Journaled or any other supported format.

Dec 10, 2017 8:14 PM in response to G-negus

The installer cannot change the disk from HFS+ to APFS if there are files and an operating system already installed. What makes you think this happened?

I fear you will need to reformat the drive the way you prefer. I hope that you have backups of your files.

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

Backup if possible before continuing.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Dec 10, 2017 8:42 PM in response to Kappy

I believe so because it won't install a program that only installs on HFS+. I had the program before but uninstalled it to install a different version.

I tried reformatting like suggested but HFS+ format isn't an option. The formats available are only the different versions of APFS format. I have back ups and thought maybe if I erased it anyway it would show me the HFS+ format in a later stage but it erased Macintosh HD and still maintains APFS format. Why?

Dec 13, 2017 3:07 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks a lot for the help Kappy

I tried your suggestion, but it's not working. The issue is I want to reformat the type of my internal storage from APFS to HFS+ and I'm seeing you are changing that of an external storage. My wall is in the options that the drop down provides. If I want to erase it the other format types available are all APFS (case-sensitive, encrypted, etc) but all APFS related meaning I don't get HFS+ options. Do you perhaps know how to get those options?

The only time all the format options are available are when I'm creating a new partition, but then when I created the partition it was never recognized as an option during startup.

This is where my mainly issues lie.

Dec 13, 2017 4:56 AM in response to Lexiepex

You're preaching to the choir! I wish the developers can keep up with apple updates, but it takes time which I can't wait for. The program is autocad, and some other design programs so they need HFS+ and windows if there's another solution I'm more than ready to try them....I'm literally starting from scratch at this point. All my partitions including windows are gone....so basically nothing else to lose

New Mac OS Extended partition not recognised in startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.