Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jangoram vulnerability in MacOS

There is an adware 'virus' called Jangoram that now has gotten installed twice on my MacOS laptop (now 10.13.1 High Sierra) without my permission.

I cannot find any information from Apple about how to stop this. You can find many websites that tell you to run their program to remove it, but how can you trust them?

This seems a major Apple vulnerability. Why are we not warned about it, or given any ways to block it or remove it?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 3:26 AM

Does the MacOS keep a log of installations?

It does, but not in a user-friendly way.

I actually wrote a free/shareware app specifically for this purpose (i.e., to see what files got installed when I downloaded stuff) that you might find helpful:

https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

Disclaimer: this post contains links to my own website from which I may derive some form of compensation. My website does not contain 3rd party ads. This disclaimer is required by ASC Terms of Use whenever linking to one's own site or product.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 3:26 AM in response to Snorkeler

Does the MacOS keep a log of installations?

It does, but not in a user-friendly way.

I actually wrote a free/shareware app specifically for this purpose (i.e., to see what files got installed when I downloaded stuff) that you might find helpful:

https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

Disclaimer: this post contains links to my own website from which I may derive some form of compensation. My website does not contain 3rd party ads. This disclaimer is required by ASC Terms of Use whenever linking to one's own site or product.

Dec 11, 2017 12:56 AM in response to red_menace

Thank you for clarifying that. I actually do not know what it might have been bundled with. I cannot recall installing any extensions. I will start keeping a log of what I grant permission to be installed. Is it possible that a browser such as Chrome could install extensions without your knowledge, in the process of browsing?

Any suggestions about how to avoid installing hitchhiking items like this? I left the Windows world because I got tired of fighting malware every day.

Which brings up a good point. Does the MacOS keep a log of installations?

Jangoram vulnerability in MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.