Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing a new iPhone to my Mac

I'm upgrading my phone and I want to start fresh so not use iCloud backup to restore the data from my old phone but this one(my old phone) is connected to my Mac through iCloud. If I turn off iCloud on my old phone and put it on my new phone will my new phone then sync and override all this info on my Mac? (This is what I want to do; I want my Mac to get rid of all pictures and messages from my old phone - basically just get rid of anything from my old phone so I can sync my new phone to it)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 9:04 PM

INeedHelpPlease🇬-1F1E7; wrote:

when i set up my new phone, can i log into my iCloud account on it then disable this account (that i'm logged into) on my old phone?

Do not "disable this account" on the old iPhone. Instead, simply log out of your iCloud account there.

What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

will this mean my new phone will be synced onto my mac?

You must take some overt action (e.g., plugging the new iPhone into the Mac using a USB cable) to sync the new iPhone to the Mac. The Mac must have iTunes 12.7 or later to communicate to iOS 11.

will it also mean all my photos will leave my iCloud library?

Photos don't "leave my iCloud library" unless you direct them to leave; e.g., erase them. If the photos are housed in iCloud Photo Library and you want them on the new iPhone, then turn iCloud Photo Library "On" in Settings > Photos > iCloud Photo Sharing on the new iPhone.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 9:04 PM in response to INeedHelpPlease🇬🇧

when i set up my new phone, can i log into my iCloud account on it then disable this account (that i'm logged into) on my old phone?

Do not "disable this account" on the old iPhone. Instead, simply log out of your iCloud account there.

What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

will this mean my new phone will be synced onto my mac?

You must take some overt action (e.g., plugging the new iPhone into the Mac using a USB cable) to sync the new iPhone to the Mac. The Mac must have iTunes 12.7 or later to communicate to iOS 11.

will it also mean all my photos will leave my iCloud library?

Photos don't "leave my iCloud library" unless you direct them to leave; e.g., erase them. If the photos are housed in iCloud Photo Library and you want them on the new iPhone, then turn iCloud Photo Library "On" in Settings > Photos > iCloud Photo Sharing on the new iPhone.

Dec 10, 2017 10:34 PM in response to INeedHelpPlease🇬🇧

You use many conflicting and imprecise phrases, so it's not possible to determine your current condition, much less the condition you're trying to achieve. Examples:

• "This one (my old iPhone) is connected to my Mac through iCloud." Perhaps that means:
    • You keep some iCloud data on your old iPhone (e.g., contacts, iCloud Photo Library) that is also on your Mac.
    • You somehow associate the iCloud backup with your Mac, since iTunes also has a backup capability.
  • "If I turn off iCloud on my old iPhone and put it on my new iPhone ..." What does "it" mean?
    • Does this relate to an iCloud backup?
    • Does it relate to information actually stored in iCloud (e.g., Notes, Calendar)?
  • "I want my Mac to get rid of all pictures and messages from my old iPhone ..." Your iPhone should be cleansed independently of the Mac as follows: What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  • " ... so I can sync my new iPhone to it." Your iPhone syncs using iTunes, not a previous iPhone. Think of iTunes as keeping whatever information you do not store in iCloud (which has nothing to do with an iCloud backup).

Dec 10, 2017 11:59 PM in response to sberman

Sorry i know that wasn't very clear. i'm trying to ask if, when i set up my new phone, can i log into my iCloud account on it then disable this account (that i'm logged into) on my old phone? will this mean my new phone will be synced onto my mac? will it also mean all my photos will leave my iCloud library? i understand iTunes is used to sync the phone but iCloud photo sharing for example means that the photos are synced from the phone onto the Mac photos application. i just basically want the "blankness" of my new phone to also be represented onto my mac, overriding everything form my old phone.

Syncing a new iPhone to my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.