Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow macbook after updating to 10.13.2

The updating process went well. However, after a few days, the finder start to crash while I work on my MacBook for a few hours. To worsened the condition, today I experienced a slow browser, and slow response when changing app or window. Does anyone experienced the same thing? Please advise and thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 8:56 PM

38 replies

Jan 9, 2018 8:20 AM in response to itsanty

Same here. Its terrible. I know about the intel flaw but this isn't intel. Safari tabs are blank after opening it up for a few minutes. They all click but are blank. Safari doesn't scroll down or up at random.

Microsoft word seems to be "pushing buttons" at random.

User uploaded file

Also any app I use is having maximize/minimize problems as well.

I tried safe mode, startup items, virus scan, file vault, hdd test etc.

Jan 13, 2018 7:32 PM in response to itsanty

This is pathetic. 😟

I have a 15", 2016 MBP, 16gig of RAM, 2.7ghz Core i7

But I can hardly work on it.

I am trying to put some videos into slides in Keynote and the timings are so laggy and do not allow for normal playback.

Things I did before 10.13.2 used to work well, but now it is almost impossible to make changes.

But it is not just with Keynote, it is pretty much depreciated performance with everything.

As noted by someone else, scrolling in Safari is totally frustrating with the screen seeming to just continually freeze or beach balling.

I hope 10.13.3 fixes things, but waiting at least another 3 weeks in going to be a total nightmare.

I have been a Mac user since 1986, and this is the worst experience that I have ever had.

Dec 11, 2017 1:58 PM in response to itsanty

Hi there itsanty.

We're so glad to have you at the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like after. updating to 10.13.2 that you're noticing crashing and overall slowness. I rely on my Mac daily, so slowness would get in the way of my productivity too. I'm happy to help you sort this out.

First let's start up in safe mode and see if the behavior is replicated there.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Then, try your regular account and see how it behaves. If you're still noticing slowness, let's try creating a test user account.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Please let me know the results and we can go from there.

Take care.

Jan 24, 2018 5:24 PM in response to Alex123412

Yeah, I didn't expect much from 10.13.3 after reading the release notes on it...

• Addresses an issue that could cause Messages conversations to temporarily be listed out of order
  • Resolves an issue that could cause your Mac to stop responding when connected to an SMB server

Whooppy Doooooo!!!!

The other things that I am noticing is that my January 2017 15" MBP with 16gig ram seems to max ram usage as fast as my 2011 15" MBP with 8gig and runs a lot louder and hotter.

When is the next OS update due? 😟

Dec 12, 2017 8:13 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi, i have a similar issue. After update to 10.13.2 i notice that my mac become slower. I observe more often loading mouse pointer. Also it takes around 5 minutes to restart. After enter my password it takes minute or so on loading screen.

I tried both safe mode and new user but nothing changed.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)

2,5 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Jan 5, 2018 12:37 AM in response to itsanty

Hi guys i find out what causes this issue on my side: It was FileVault encrypting my hard drive. For some reason it was painfully slow around 10 days. You can check your FileVault status by entering in terminal: "

fdesetup status" and will see something like this:

FileVault is On. Encryption in progress: Percent completed = 20.58

When i tried to turn off it return some error so I decided to wait until process finish. It took around 10 days for that. I followed some guy's advice to make my mac to not sleep while in charger and i leave it whenever i can open but turning brightness to zero so i can protect my display

Jan 16, 2018 8:51 AM in response to itsanty

My MacBook has slowed down a lot after the 10.13.2 macOS update. I am seeing beach balls all the time now. Before I seldom encountered a beach ball. My Safari browser is crashing several times a day. Yesterday after it crashed and closed I reopened it and it immediately crashed and closed. Then I reopened Safari and it crashed again! I decided to restart my MacBook which I seem to do every day now. I'm ******.

Jan 16, 2018 8:56 AM in response to marctibesar

I'd like to add more to my previous post. This morning my Mail was empty. I would open up an email and it was white screen showing no content. I tried several emails and still white content. After I restarted the machine still blank emails. My MacBook is now a POS after the 10.13.2 update. I suppose Apple wants me to buy the newest MacBook now that they have purposefully slowed down my early 2016 MacBook.

Jan 16, 2018 9:12 AM in response to itsanty

There are multiple reports that these symptoms may be caused by the use of Third-party Virus scanners. Trusteer comes up in such discussions often. If you have the option of doing so, run with the Virus scanner off and see if performance improves.

Third-party Virus scanners (that look at every file going by) are a tremendous waste of your computer's resources, and have always been a drag on performance. The built-in X-Protect provided with MacOS does a much better job. It scans as Applications are about to run, which is when they can potentially cause you problems. Files (even deadly files) that are just sitting around are not a threat until you try to execute them.

Jan 21, 2018 8:13 PM in response to itsanty

Update

Last week I started noticing that the only time my MacBook will open up and finder crashing is when I connected to my office network. I try to find the cause through google search and found that I need to change the connection from smb to cifs. I've been using gifs these past two days, and it worked fine so far.

Slow macbook after updating to 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.