Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac power button not working, along some keys. Powers after doing a long SMC reset, but won't stay on unless a key is pressed on the entire time

Alright, so, my late 2011 13" MBP decided to suddenly die as I was watching a video on youtube. It made a chime noise as when you forcefully shut it down. The fans also went loud before this happened. When I tried to press the power button to turn it back on, it would not turn on through the power button. It does turn on if I do a long SMC reset or if I disconnect & reconnect the battery.

The following keys also do not work:

b,n, . and ,

Now, I know this may sound ********, but before this happened I moved a bowl of noodles to the side, and I think one drop might have hit the keyboard? But a very small one, and I don't think it even got underneath the keys. I'm so paranoid as to why it just happened all of a sudden, I'm considering everything by this point.

Once I successfully manage to turn it on, it will stay on so long as I keep any key pressed at all time. The moment I no longer press a key it makes that chime noise again, and the pop-up saying "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" appears, before turning itself off.

I tried everything. Did an Apple Hardware test, which came out clear. Disk utility came clear, and I even managed to wipe it out clean and reinstall Lion in recovery mode. Nothing worked. Same thing happens if I try to go in Safe Mode.

Believe it or not, it died as I was in the midst of finishing an assignment deadline, and as I said, so long as a key was pressed on at all times, it would stay on. I managed to finish my assignment by placing a paperweight on one of the keys, and kept the mac on for a good 9 hours with no interruption.

As an update, I noticed now whenever I try to resurrect my mac via this option, it gets warmer and the fans are louder, but not scalding hot. If it helps, my battery also severely needs to be replaced. It still holds charge, but I've had it for ages.

I was wondering if anybody found a solution to this? And whether anybody tried replacing the keyboard and that solved the issue. Many thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:00 PM

1 reply

Dec 11, 2017 2:12 PM in response to Dancing Tangerine

Hi Dancing Tangerine,

I understand that your MacBook Pro is having some issues staying on, and some of your keys don't work. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Based on all of the troubleshooting that you've gone through, I recommend that you contact Apple Support for help with this.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Mac power button not working, along some keys. Powers after doing a long SMC reset, but won't stay on unless a key is pressed on the entire time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.