Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor problems with Macbook 12" & DELL U2518D

Hi there

i got a DELL U2518D 25" monitor which i want to use it with my Macbook 2017 12" on HDMI to HDMI with the original MAC USB-C to HDMI adapter.
Unfortunately it seems that this hardware combination doesnt work properly in the standard resolution 2560x1440 60 Hertz.

Error: The display changes to black every 5 seconds.

I had the previous version of this monitor and it worked very well. It is also the best business monitor price/value in my opinion. Unfortunately the previous model is EOL and not available anymore.

The DELL support is not at all helping: "We don't test on MAC, please buy another monitor" Aha?

The HDMI on the Macbook is a given as this is the only possible monitor connectivity, the monitor supports HDMI, DP and mDP.

I tried cables: HDMI <> HDMI, DP <> HDMI, mDP <> HDMI, none are working. I guess these cables are meant to work from DP to HDMI to connect a TV and not vice versa from HDMI (source) to DP (monitor).

I got it to work now on 1080p but this is not the native resolution and looks blurry.

Any thoughts how to resolve this task? I can imagine trying a USB-C to DP cable, but then I would need to change to MacBook Pro 😉

Thx

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:58 PM

1 reply

Dec 11, 2017 2:18 PM in response to skedapeda

Greetings skedapeda,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you are trying to use an external display but it is turning black every 5 seconds. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. I would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

Use multiple displays with your Mac

Take care.

Monitor problems with Macbook 12" & DELL U2518D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.