Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Battery Drain Due To *UNUSED* Flashlight

Normally I get a full day (16-18 hours) of moderate use from my iPhone X before dropping below 10% of charge; even with heavy use I get 10-12 hours.

I cant recall what day last week I updated to 11.2, but the first couple days I noted my phone was noticeably warm out of my pocket, and i was on the charger by early evening; the past two days my phone has been downright hot, and I’m down to 50% after barely five hours.

I checked Battery Use, both days, and noted the Flashlight was the number two abuser yesterday at 26% (I failed to check 7 day), and today it is pushing 30%, and showing 5% for the week.

The thing is, I’ve not used the flashlight in at least two weeks.

Yesterday, and again today, I did toggle it on and off briefly to see if the heat would abate; after 15 minutes, it was still hot. Yesterday I merely restarted to see if it would abate; today I force quit all open apps, restarted, the hard reset and yet the battery kept falling with radios turned off *and* in Low Power mode.

Theres a thread over at Reddit with several users reporting essentially the same thing (https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/7iue4g/iphone_x_flashlight_usage_overni ght/),and a search turned up some vaguely similar issues for iOS 9 and10.

Anyone else?

I’m really not in the mood to reset and restore; it’s a 256GB chock full and my restore host Mac only has USB 2.0. It takes several hours to complete.

I wish Apple would allow us to reset the battery log from a cold restart so we could check for entries of apps that were either unreasonably high, or, in this case, never used at all. It would be a fast way to confirm an issue like this.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2, 256GB Unlocked GSM+CDMA, Ting

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 10:56 PM

2 replies

Dec 11, 2017 12:39 AM in response to Frederico

HI

Go to iCloud make sure iCloud back up is on Then backup now over your wifi

Then go to settings down to reset Restore iPhone back to factory settings.

Then set back up over your wifi when it asks if you want to use iCloud backup Say yes to get your apps and data back this will get rid of any bugs.

I haven't used pc for backup for 3 years All done over wifi & iCloud.

Cheers

Brian 🇬-1F1E7;

Dec 11, 2017 1:41 AM in response to Briansyddall

I’m unclear as to why you believe using iCloud and WiFi will eliminate the bugs, and a backup and restore from the Mac will not. Please elaborate as to why presumably identical iOS images and .ipa files would be better coming over WiFi.

FWIW, the update to iOS 11.2 was done inadvertently over WiFi, as Apple stealth-downloads the installer whether or not you want it. I prefer to download an update image one time to my macOS server, and distribute to all iOS devices in the house (nearly a dozen), rather than waste massive amounts of bandwidth and blow through my caps and pay overages. The same goes for individual apps that would be needlessly repeatedly downloading to each device.

To to that end, a WiFi backup and restore would also be quite slow, even slower than a direct connection. I’d estimate it would take most if not all of 24 hours, given my non-fiber service.

I’d also have to buy a pretty expensive iCloud plan to host the extremely large data backup; ~230GB of data rather exceeds the free 5GB level.

Amyway, thanks for the advice to restore, even though I clearly stated I was looking for feedback from anyone else experiencing this, and that I’m trying to avoid a possibly fruitless restoration. If it’s an actual bug in 11.2, it might be hardware/carrier specific and thus a restore will possibly have zero effect for the time investment.

Cheers

Frederico

iPhone X Battery Drain Due To *UNUSED* Flashlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.