Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stereo camera video file import into iMovie 10

I am working in iMovie 10.1.6 on my iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6. (yes I will upgrade to High Sierra:))

Canon XA25 Camera.

I have recorded a choir performance with AVCHD 1080 video with separate right and left audio.

I have tried to import into iMovie 10 and the results are mono audio in the clip and on the timeline when clip is placed in the movie.

Is there a way to specify stereo audio clips upon import or for the movie?

Currently when I import, it imports as a mono clip, combined right and left audio.

I would like to adjust the audio separately for each track.

I have looked at preferences and other setting and cannot seem to find a stereo movie setting so I can adjust individual tracks.

Do I need to convert to another video format before importing?

I have scoured iMovie "HELP" to no avail.

Otherwise, almost everything else is well in my iMovie world.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

iMovie 10, iOS 10.1, iMac

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 8:04 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, iMovie 10.x.x has no feature that would enable you to separate or work with left and right tracks of a stereo recording. You may want to try googling for an audio app, like Audacity perhaps, that will let you do this. If you have Quicktime Pro 7 on your computer, you can work with separate audio tracks, but that app no longer is available.

It wouldn't hurt to try converting a duplicate of your video to Mp4 and see if that makes any difference. You can do this with the free download, Handbrake.

Perhaps others on this forum with audio expertise can offer other suggestions.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 8:04 AM in response to NCGuy

Hi,

Unfortunately, iMovie 10.x.x has no feature that would enable you to separate or work with left and right tracks of a stereo recording. You may want to try googling for an audio app, like Audacity perhaps, that will let you do this. If you have Quicktime Pro 7 on your computer, you can work with separate audio tracks, but that app no longer is available.

It wouldn't hurt to try converting a duplicate of your video to Mp4 and see if that makes any difference. You can do this with the free download, Handbrake.

Perhaps others on this forum with audio expertise can offer other suggestions.

-- Rich

Stereo camera video file import into iMovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.