Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Face ID authenticate two different people?

I'm helping my friend with his new iPhone X. He set up Face ID and it works. Face ID is definitely set. When his phone awakes from sleep the screen says Face ID. If he is looking at the screen and slides up he goes to the Home screen. If we point the phone away from his face then he is asked for his passcode instead. So Face ID is definitely set up and working.

But... it works for me too. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen. Like a 1 in a million chance of a false positive.

It's convenient in that I can help him with stuff, including Apple Pay, more easily. But that's not the point. It's not supposed to happen like that, right?

Here's a photo I took of us today after we tested this. I'm on the left and I'm 61 years old. He's on the right and is 98 years old. We are not related - just friends.

One might say to "reset Face ID" - and maybe if I do it will just recognize him and fail to recognize me. But why does this happen so easily?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), i5, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 1:50 AM

8 replies

Dec 22, 2017 2:20 AM in response to Doug Lerner2

I was helping my friend with his iPhone X again today and confirmed that Face ID recognizes both him and me.

I reported it to Apple, but they haven't replied.

Not impressed with the iPhone X Face ID security.

Also I hate that payment confirmation using a double-click of a mechanical button. I can't imagine why they did that rather than something you can touch on the screen.

Why does Face ID authenticate two different people?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.