Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create Fusion Drive iMac High Sierra

Hello, My HDD failed in my late 2012 iMac so I replaced it with a new 1TB HDD. Now I'm trying to create a fusion drive to appear as one volume. I installed High Sierra 10.3.2 from a USB. I have now reformatted both the SSD and HDD to APFS (after trying other methods) but can't find any info online about how to combine the two drives into a Fusion drive.

I'm currently downloading Sierra in the hope I can reinstall the OS from the USB and format back to HFS+ to use the below documented method. I'm in quite the pickle it seems. Would love some help!

I'm preparing the iMac for sale so would like it to work as it should. I don't need to backup any data. Thank you.

Replace Hard Drive in iMac with Fusion - Ask Different

Macbook Pro, + imac ibook ipod & iphone to come

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 4:47 AM

As I understand it APFS doesn't work with fusion drives. Restart into Internet Recovery and reformat both the ssd and hdd as Mac OS Extended Journaled using the GUID partition scheme and follow the directions here How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

To prepare your iMac for sale follow the instructions here What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 4:47 AM in response to Doosh404

As I understand it APFS doesn't work with fusion drives. Restart into Internet Recovery and reformat both the ssd and hdd as Mac OS Extended Journaled using the GUID partition scheme and follow the directions here How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

To prepare your iMac for sale follow the instructions here What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

Create Fusion Drive iMac High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.