Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X - Weird clicking sounds made by taptic engine (?)

Sometimes, my iPhone X makes weird "clicking" sounds caused by taptic engine / vibration when leaving control center. This also can be reproduced if you choose vibration mode S.O.S. for example and keep pressing it several times in a row. Anyone else noted this behaviour?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2, null

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 1:27 AM

12 replies

Dec 28, 2017 8:20 PM in response to Funzblubb

IM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE!

I thought I was crazy when my haptic feedback was vibrating when it is obviously turned off. When I put my ear close to the phone, it also makes a buzzing (zzzz) sound. The dull/muted haptic feedback occurs inconsistently and sometimes they are at different vibration strength. It all started on dec 21/22 for me.

Jan 23, 2018 1:33 PM in response to DangerRanger84

I'm experiencing the same problem. The haptic feedback (in the beginning sometimes, now next to always) create a noticeable clicking sound when I dismiss the control center (by sliding up) and when dismissing reachability (by sliding up). It sounds metallic and off, as if something is loose or broken.

It occurs when the sound is turned on, although I have had a couple occurrences (clicks) using force touch in silent mode.

Like you write, the behavior can also can be reproduced (sometimes - not always) when selecting the vibration pattern S.O.S. or when changing vibration patterns rapidly.

I have sent feedback to Apple and been in touch with Apple Support in Norway. They hadn't heard about the issue. Since some people say that the iOS 11.2.5 Beta has helped, I think our best bet is to wait for the official update and see if it helps. Hopefully it won't be long.

iPhone X - Weird clicking sounds made by taptic engine (?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.