Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple software update 12.7.2

I am trying to update itunes and keep getting a message that says the feature I am trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

I have tried searching for a folder containing the installation package 'AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi' as instructed but I cant find it. I am on a hp laptop using Windows.

null-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 8:26 AM

Hi, I had been trouble shooting this problem for a couple of hours with no luck! I was getting "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package iTunes64msi" or word to that effect!

So how I fixed it 🙂

1) Head over to here and download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2 http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

2) Doubleclick the msicuu2.exe file and follow the prompts to install the Windows Installer CleanUp utility. If you get the 800A0046 error message when double clicking the msicuu2.exe file, right-click on the msicuu2.exe file and select "Run as administrator".

3) If running W10 click the windows icon bottom left and start typing Install cleanup, you'll see the program you have just installed pop up!

User uploaded file

4) Click on the program and in the list of programs that appear select any iTunes entries and click "Remove":

User uploaded file

5) Exit the program and restart your PC, iTunes should now install without any problems 😉

Hope this helps 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 8:26 AM in response to Jools3112

Hi, I had been trouble shooting this problem for a couple of hours with no luck! I was getting "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package iTunes64msi" or word to that effect!

So how I fixed it 🙂

1) Head over to here and download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2 http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

2) Doubleclick the msicuu2.exe file and follow the prompts to install the Windows Installer CleanUp utility. If you get the 800A0046 error message when double clicking the msicuu2.exe file, right-click on the msicuu2.exe file and select "Run as administrator".

3) If running W10 click the windows icon bottom left and start typing Install cleanup, you'll see the program you have just installed pop up!

User uploaded file

4) Click on the program and in the list of programs that appear select any iTunes entries and click "Remove":

User uploaded file

5) Exit the program and restart your PC, iTunes should now install without any problems 😉

Hope this helps 🙂

Dec 11, 2017 6:13 AM in response to Jools3112

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. Start with Missing MSI errors.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Apple software update 12.7.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.