Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My media keys (play/pause/forward/rewind) are not working after updating to High Sierra.

I have 10.13.2 High Sierra on my mid-2015 15-inch Retina Macbook Pro. After updating to High Sierra, I can no longer use my media keys, even when I am on the application itself (Spotify or iTunes). I know it is likely not a hardware issue because it worked fine 10 minutes prior to the update.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 2:46 AM

4 replies

Dec 11, 2017 3:18 AM in response to gchan1390

High Sierra changed the way the media keys work, in that they may control not just iTunes but, for example, Safari if there is a video playing.

I occasionally had problems where it seemed that the keys were being captured by the "wrong" application.

If you first start iTunes playing by using the space key, or pressing the play button, do the media keys then start to work?

My media keys (play/pause/forward/rewind) are not working after updating to High Sierra.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.