Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location service is enabled not working in High Sierra

Recently I have noticed that Location Service is enabled however not working in High Sierra. Not sure if it happened after updating High Sierra or not.

Thanks,

D

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:06 PM

Hey Don R.!

Welcome to the Apple Support Communties. I understand you're having some trouble getting the Location Services on your iMac to work, and that's something I'd be happy to help. To start, just switch your general Location Services off , leave them off for a few minutes, the switch them back on and test for any change.

Next, let's see if we can get them working again by booting the iMac in safe mode . Test the Location Services while in safe mode (though don't be surprised if it doesn't work, safe mode is designed to limit computer functions to a minimum), then reboot the computer normally. Is there any change to the Location Services afterwards?

Let me know what you find from running these tests, and also, tell me a little more about how you're determining that Location Services aren't working; is the iMac not recognized in the Find My Device service, or is it within another app (such as Safari or a game that tracks region information)?

Cheers!
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 7:06 PM in response to Don R.

Hey Don R.!

Welcome to the Apple Support Communties. I understand you're having some trouble getting the Location Services on your iMac to work, and that's something I'd be happy to help. To start, just switch your general Location Services off , leave them off for a few minutes, the switch them back on and test for any change.

Next, let's see if we can get them working again by booting the iMac in safe mode . Test the Location Services while in safe mode (though don't be surprised if it doesn't work, safe mode is designed to limit computer functions to a minimum), then reboot the computer normally. Is there any change to the Location Services afterwards?

Let me know what you find from running these tests, and also, tell me a little more about how you're determining that Location Services aren't working; is the iMac not recognized in the Find My Device service, or is it within another app (such as Safari or a game that tracks region information)?

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2017 1:26 PM in response to i_rina

Thanks for the reply. Here are my results to your suggestions.

I turned location off and waited a few minutes...no luck.

Went into safe mode. I asked Siri where I was, Siri doesn't work in safe mode. However, when I opened maps, and clicked the "arrow" locator icon, it found me!

Restarted in normal mode. Maps, Siri, Find My Device all state they can NOT find me.

When I am in Safari, and search (in Google) where am I, it states Georgia, even though I am in NC. I imagine that is due to the IP provider. In fact, when I sign on to iCloud, it sends the message that I am in Georgia trying to sign on.

I guess I am a lost soul! Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Don

Location service is enabled not working in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.