Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i run a virus check on my mac

How do I run a virus check an my mac ?

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 4:57 AM

12 replies

Dec 11, 2017 7:33 AM in response to shaunthewanderer

there are currently no virus for OS X reported to be found "in the wild" from any credible securities lab in the world. At this time AV products for OS X have been found to be the cause of many problems with OS X from general sluggishness to system crashes to false positives to providing erroneous suggestions to end users that can exacerbate issues with OS X , but offering no benefit to the security of OS X.

and many of these products with "windows credibly" are making some shoddy crap for OS X. Microsoft.

Dec 11, 2017 9:28 AM in response to shaunthewanderer

To make sure your Mac malware database is always up to date you'll want to verify that your Mac always automatically installs security updates and related system data files. To do this: Open System Preferences. Open the App Store preference

Checking your Mac for viruses -- wait, what? | Macworld

Dec 11, 2017 4:21 PM in response to shaunthewanderer

Note that although JimmyCMPIT is technically correct, in that there is no known malware that can infect your Mac without you doing something to activate it and it won't spread to others computers by itself (narrow definition of a virus), there are hundreds of other types of Malware currently in circulation capable of infecting it should you choose to download and install it. He wants you to use the term "Malware" which including computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, scareware, and other malicious programs, but he never bothers to tell users that.

By far the largest majority of malware that can impact your Mac today is in the form of adware. It is designed to redirect your browser to another page, pop-up or pop-under a page or show underlines that pop-up ads when you hover over them. The adware developer gets paid every time such things happen. Although not particular harmful, it may well slow your computer experience and is annoying at best.

Dec 11, 2017 6:29 PM in response to shaunthewanderer

Up until about the year 2010 or 2011 I purposefully installed every known BUG available for a mac.

There were a couple that were BAD as Bad could get - but for the most part, they were relatively easy to eliminate.

That said, I would not welcome to try to install one on my work computer for any reason - However, MOST have to be purposely installed or the warning signs ignored and no conscious part on the user to prevent them or to check out suspicious items.

I can understand you wanting to protect your WINDOWS friends from any files you may send them... Use virus total - online for those files.

Is there a specific concern or reason why you are asking about bug in your apple ?

how do i run a virus check on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.