Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formular for plain rounddown number

Hello guys,

well, my knowledge of writing complicated formulas is rather restricted. Unfortunately!

In the above table in column L 35 is the sum.

In L40 the result is given. But it happens that the result hat figures behind the point.

Now I would like to have a formula which definitely has a whole number without anything after the point. and the rest shall be seen in row L44. The formula in column L shall divide into 6 and in column M /4.

I had to ask someone else for the existing formula so I wouldn’t know how to solve this problem.

Thank you for your help.

Regals limmy3

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), always latest version (10.12.4)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 6:09 PM

Hi limmy

With the numbers w a y o v e r on the left and no connecting lines between them and the cells in column L, it's difficult to keep track of where the mentioned cells are, and what should be/is in them.

L35 is the sum: (24.75)

In L40 the result ( 4.00) is given. (What is this the result of?)

But it happens that the result hat (has?) figures behind the point.

Now I would like to have a formula which definitely has a whole number without anything after the point.

(The numbers following the decimal are all zeroes in L40 and in M40. If this is always the case, then your result here is already a whole number, and you need only change the Format of the cell to Number, 0 decimal places using the Format Inspector.)

and the rest shall be seen in row L44. (What is "the rest"?)

The formula in column L shall divide into by 6 and in column M /4. (What is being divided in these two cells?)

(The result in L40 implies the value in L37 (25.25–not mentioned in your description) is divided by 6 then rounded down to the nearest whole number (and presented with two places after the decimal to match the format of the numbers in the rest of the column.)

Assuming those guesses are correct, Here's a possible set of formulas. The image is of a section of your table showing the cells involved in the formulas.

User uploaded file

L37: (Assumed) This cell contains the sum of L35 and L36.

L38: The number above, rounded down to the nearest multiple of 6:

L38: MROUND(L37−3,6) M38: MROUND(M37−2,4)

MROUND rounds a number to the nearest multiple of another number. The rounding will be up or down, depending which multiple is closest. the -3 (half of 6) and -2 (half of 4) are offsets that force the result to the nearest multiple less than (or equal to) the number in L37. Format the cell to show two decimal places if desired.

L40: INT(L37÷6) M40: INT(M37÷4)

INT returns the integer portion of the result of the expression in the brackets, and ignores the fractional part

L45: L37−L38

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 6:09 PM in response to limmy3

Hi limmy

With the numbers w a y o v e r on the left and no connecting lines between them and the cells in column L, it's difficult to keep track of where the mentioned cells are, and what should be/is in them.

L35 is the sum: (24.75)

In L40 the result ( 4.00) is given. (What is this the result of?)

But it happens that the result hat (has?) figures behind the point.

Now I would like to have a formula which definitely has a whole number without anything after the point.

(The numbers following the decimal are all zeroes in L40 and in M40. If this is always the case, then your result here is already a whole number, and you need only change the Format of the cell to Number, 0 decimal places using the Format Inspector.)

and the rest shall be seen in row L44. (What is "the rest"?)

The formula in column L shall divide into by 6 and in column M /4. (What is being divided in these two cells?)

(The result in L40 implies the value in L37 (25.25–not mentioned in your description) is divided by 6 then rounded down to the nearest whole number (and presented with two places after the decimal to match the format of the numbers in the rest of the column.)

Assuming those guesses are correct, Here's a possible set of formulas. The image is of a section of your table showing the cells involved in the formulas.

User uploaded file

L37: (Assumed) This cell contains the sum of L35 and L36.

L38: The number above, rounded down to the nearest multiple of 6:

L38: MROUND(L37−3,6) M38: MROUND(M37−2,4)

MROUND rounds a number to the nearest multiple of another number. The rounding will be up or down, depending which multiple is closest. the -3 (half of 6) and -2 (half of 4) are offsets that force the result to the nearest multiple less than (or equal to) the number in L37. Format the cell to show two decimal places if desired.

L40: INT(L37÷6) M40: INT(M37÷4)

INT returns the integer portion of the result of the expression in the brackets, and ignores the fractional part

L45: L37−L38

Regards,

Barry

Dec 11, 2017 5:24 PM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

sorry, for the complicated instruction. After being interrupted with this I did not bother to over look the text and just send it off.

Both may have two places behind the decimal which can be 0, 0.25, 0.5 or 0.75 as they are decimal hours. (I work with the German system where a dot . is a , comma.

I am asking for a formula for column L and M only.

L35 is the result of column L.

L36 is the rest (L44) hours of the previous month.

L37 is the sum of L35 plus L36.

In L38 the rest of L37 is separated from the calculation which can not be divided by 6.

Well, it is not easy to explain.

L44 is the rest of the division of L38 divided by L39. The result in L39 is invisible instead you see ÷ 6 or ÷ 4. This is from a sheet behind the table to show the labelling.

My request is that L40 and M40 should be always a number with a nill (whole number, possibly may not be the correct english term) after the decimal. Then the rest in L44 or M44 will be the division of the L39 by 6 in column L and by 4 in column M.

Someone here in the community made this formula setting for me which works fine but it is not the way the company makes the calculation. That's way I what to change it into whole numbers.

E.g.

the result of L is 7 plus the rest of the previous month 1 is 8.

7 + 1 = 8 ÷ 6 = 1 rest 2

110 (M35) + 0.5 (M36) = 110.5 (M37) (M38) 108 ÷ 4 (M39) = 27 (M40) rest 2.5 (M44)

Hope I could provide you with a better explanation than before.

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Thank you so much for your help.

Dec 11, 2017 8:18 PM in response to limmy3

Hi Limmy,

Here's a different set of formulas that follow your description more closely.

Written before your most recent post, which I won't have time to respond to for a few hours.

Added columns N and O are just notes, and not needed in your document.

User uploaded file

Functions used in the formulas will have different names in German. Will look them up later if you have difficulty finding them.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 11, 2017 6:08 PM in response to limmy3

Hi Barry,

I used the formula "MROUND(A37−3,6)" you have written and it works fine.

That's what I was looking for.

Now I can figure out how to write the formula when the result in L35 or M40 is less than 6 or 4 because then a syntax error comes up. This may happen in the L column but rather not in M.

But I think I use if & then function for that.

Thank you very much.

regards limmy3

Formular for plain rounddown number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.