Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 10.13.2 Upgrade Query

Hi all:

I have a MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2012) with 2.5GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 480GB SSD, Intel Graphics, etc.

I have recently upgraded my MacOS to 10.13.2, and have found when plugging in an external monitor that a new bug has arrived. When I switch between screens it seems that the external monitor switches as well - where the application is running on the MacBook, the display on the external monitor is displayed is black. Where the application is running on the external monitor, the MacBook monitor is black.

I also have a MacBook that has not been upgraded to 10.13.2 yet, and it is not doing this.

Display mirroring is turned off.

I have an idea that this might be a bug related to the upgrade? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

-Michael

macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 4:53 AM

5 replies

Dec 29, 2017 3:54 AM in response to mwmentor

Hi there:

So it would seem that this issue does not have a solution at present?

To recap,

• I am running a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13" configured with 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3, 480GB SSD and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
  • I have an external Acer X203H monitor that I have used for as long as I have had my Mac. It is not set to mirror my desktop - it is configured to work as an extended desktop so that I can work on a second larger screen which is useful for a number of things, like large worksheets and project plans, which is where I spend most of my life

What happens is that when the external monitor is plugged in, scrolling between screens (4-finger horizontal swipe) causes both monitors to scroll - and where an app is running on a single screen (usual), the screen where the app is not running displays a black screen...

I have reset the NVRAM and checked the display configuration to see if something has changed, and none of this has made any difference. Still have this effect since upgraded to 10.13.2.

Question is, is this a bug or not? And is a solution going to be forthcoming in an upcoming update, or is this just going to be it until I buy a new MacBook? I would like to know...

Thanks.

-Michael

Dec 13, 2017 1:18 AM in response to jdelliott45

Hi there:

My MacBook upgraded and is now running 13.10.2. It has issues... clearly. Dual monitors no longer work independently, and they are not mirrored either, so you have a situation where you can have a full-screen app running on an external monitor, and when it is in focus, the MacBook screen will display a black screen. When the application is running full-screen on the MacBook, and is in focus, the external monitor displays a black screen. Quite fun actually, if that is what one wants. Unfortunately, generally, and certainly in my case, it is not. Not sure if I should roll-back or not - it might make it worse...

Thanks.

-Michael

Jan 10, 2018 1:03 AM in response to mwmentor

I have solved this issue:

The reason that this issue was occurring related to the "Displays have separate Spaces" setting in Mission Control. For reasons unknown, it was unchecked - I guess that I must have unchecked it at some point? Really odd, because I don't remember unchecking it, but I must have. So, if you get a situation where all monitors respond to screen-switches, take a look a this setting and make sure that it is checked (has a tick-mark).

This issue is now closed from my perspective.

MacOS 10.13.2 Upgrade Query

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.