Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable Flash Drive

I want to create a bootable flash drive.

All of the ways I have tried failed.

I get an error message:

"sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found"

when I run this command in terminal:

"sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app" "

Thanks,....

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 6:34 AM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2017 5:08 AM in response to Community User

Thanks Eric,

I downloaded the Diskmake X and ran it (the El Capitan version), but it would not create the bootable Flash Drive.

I get error messages with both methods of making a bootable USB stick to install El Capitan:

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X gives the error message: No Installer application could be found.

Click on Select an OS X Installation App and choose the OS X Installer application.

and Apple’s method Create a bootable installer for OS

gives the error message: sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found.

The App Store does not have a version of El Capitan.

When I try to download Yosemite from the app store I get an error message: This version of OS X 10.10 cannot be installed on this computer.

So, I am still unable to create a bootable flash drive.

Dec 19, 2017 3:40 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

Thanks for the link, but I get an error message:

"We could not complete your purchase. This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer."

My Mac has OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6 so I don't see why it would not work.

Thanks for your help!

Bootable Flash Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.