Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When my Mac Pro starts up the line goes through then it ends up showing me a circle and line through it

Cant get onto my Mac Pro. . Can’t open

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.1.2, Help getting on.

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:05 PM

The moving progress bar is telling you it is loading things up and making progress.

The prohibitory sign says that some components of Mac OS are too damaged to be used, and you will need to re-install MacOS. That can generally be done with a re-Install-in-place, BUT: that process re-writes over 350,000 files. If your drive is dying, that much re-writing could send it over the cliff into never working again.

Do you have a Trusted Backup?

--if yes, feel free to re-install.

--if no, consider obtaining another drive and re-installing on the other drive in an External enclosure, then using the full power of MacOS to "rescue" your files.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 7:05 PM in response to amcgonigle

The moving progress bar is telling you it is loading things up and making progress.

The prohibitory sign says that some components of Mac OS are too damaged to be used, and you will need to re-install MacOS. That can generally be done with a re-Install-in-place, BUT: that process re-writes over 350,000 files. If your drive is dying, that much re-writing could send it over the cliff into never working again.

Do you have a Trusted Backup?

--if yes, feel free to re-install.

--if no, consider obtaining another drive and re-installing on the other drive in an External enclosure, then using the full power of MacOS to "rescue" your files.

When my Mac Pro starts up the line goes through then it ends up showing me a circle and line through it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.