Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer set-up to new iPad

I have a work iPad that I need to return to my school (I'm a teacher) as I have resigned and will be starting a new job. I will be getting a new iPad from my new school. I want to save a "back-up" (copy?) of everything on my current iPad, so I can transfer it to the new one. (i.e. I want it to be set up identically to my current device). I (and my family) have purchased many, many apps and music, and have multiple devices between us - I don't want all music and apps to be transferred to the new device, just the ones that I need for work, so to save time setting up the new device, I was hoping to do a back-up, and then copy that back-up to the new iPad.

In the past, I have done this via iTunes, but I just connected to iTunes for the first time in a while, only to discover things have changed.... No apps. I'm a bit confused about what to do, and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Janine

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 9:05 AM

While App Management was removed from iTunes 12.7, you can still backup the current iPad to iTunes and restore that backup to the new iPad.

Note that backups are all or nothing. You don't get to choose what to restore from a backup. If you restore the backup it will put everything back.

Alternatively, you can manage App installation directly from the Purchased list section on the iPad itself, and choose what Apps to install.

Since the new iPad will likely be managed by the school, you may not be able to restore a backup onto it, and as such, you may need to login to your Apple ID if allowed, and install Apps one by one from the Purchased list.

If the Apple ID you were using on the old iPad belonged to the school, you will likely not be able to use it on the new iPad.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 9:05 AM in response to Janine T

While App Management was removed from iTunes 12.7, you can still backup the current iPad to iTunes and restore that backup to the new iPad.

Note that backups are all or nothing. You don't get to choose what to restore from a backup. If you restore the backup it will put everything back.

Alternatively, you can manage App installation directly from the Purchased list section on the iPad itself, and choose what Apps to install.

Since the new iPad will likely be managed by the school, you may not be able to restore a backup onto it, and as such, you may need to login to your Apple ID if allowed, and install Apps one by one from the Purchased list.

If the Apple ID you were using on the old iPad belonged to the school, you will likely not be able to use it on the new iPad.

Transfer set-up to new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.